NDX2 vs ND5XS2 as a transport

Thanks Simon, you explain Roon much better than the Roon website.
They should hire you as a communication officer.

And I believe they are the same boards as in the ND555 (there is a motherboard and daughterboard if you look carefully)… underneath it’s screening case

I’m expecting an NDX2 to arrive on Friday for a period of home auditioning; I was allowed to keep the dcs network bridge which I am trialing with my Hugo I.
Should be a very pleasant week :blush:

1 Like

indeed, very interesting. I would like to know if you find the ndx2/ hugo better sounding than ndx2 alone. Also how dcs network bridge/ hugo can compare vs ndx2.
For now, only Simon prefers the ndx2/hugo vs ndx2. I have not read any other member connecting hugo to ndx2. So interesting.

1 Like

What I can say they sound like chalk and cheese… very different reconstruction technologies being used… what is preferred is clearly individual, just like whether you prefer a ND555 to a NDX2.
At least with Naim streamers you can choose the DAC to match your system. I have a 552 and that perhaps takes me down a particular path I do, but I have the NDX2 analogue our set to one of my NAC inputs just in case I should prefer that for whatever reason.

And what are your findings on the NDX 2, the dCS Network Bridge and the Hugo?

the ndx2 is expected on friday…

3 Likes

did you pull the trigger on NDX2 ? I am thinking of it as well… maybe even with a Innous Zen mk3 to never see a computer again :slight_smile:

although my SP1000 connected trough 3.5mm/DIN flashback cable sounds very good, more than enough for what I need form streaming, using Mconnect to stream Tidal as well

i was responding to nbph…Docv is expecting the ndx2 to arrive on friday, he said. So he can’t have impressions on it now.
For myself, i have the nds, so have no interest in downgrading the sound…

3 Likes

Sorry for long delay…yes I did buy the ndx2 and HighLine…I’ve listened extensively and find that the ndx2 alone is preferable to the ndx2/Hugo…however, I leave the Hugo “connected” to the ndx2 and have the earth switched to floating as for unknown reasons this sounds best.
SQ detailed, engaging, musical, huge immersive soundstage…altogether a rewarding upgrade

2 Likes

That’s a mighty expensive grounding device! :grinning:

1 Like

Agree!
It does tempt me to listen to the Hugo now and again :smiley:
One thing to note as ever, the ndx2 has benefited from extensive “burn in” time…it is fascinating experiencing it opening up and relaxing over a period of weeks…its a marvellous piece of kit.

After nearly six months of heavy listening my NDX2 sound is still developing and getting better and better.

That is bizarre, the Hugo is not grounded and so what you are doing in that setup is encouraging noise into your ground plane… to which you prefer, this is entirely fair enough, but to my mind slightly bizarre but we are all different. I use my CDX2 to provide the signal ground earthing for my Hugo into my 552.
The resolution and reconstruction of the internal NDX2 TI DAC and the Hugo are very very different… and so you may have a particular preference for certain more traditional reconstruction methods and sound… but this is a personal preference and expectation thing…
I have to say as much I have tried to will it over the last 5 months, I can’t get the NDX2 to sound any better or musical… so I use it’s DAC as a backup now… but then I am using a 552DR which is exceptionally revealing of its sources.
Out of interest I assume you have set your Hugo to turquoise for your Naim NAC using phono to DIN ? I use a Hiline.

Hi Simon, the signal ground earthing (sge) issue is interesting, but not something I understand very well at all.
Is it the “floating earth” selection on the ndx2 which seems unusual to you? I selected this simply as it seemed to lead to sq improvement although this could have been a red herring.
I would like to know how of ways to deal with sge for the Hugo if you have any suggestions.
I do have it set to turquoise and use phono to din for the connection to my 52: I’m not sure of the provenance of this lead…it is certainly nowhere near the quality of a hi-line (which I do have for the ndx2-52…din to din). This difference in the quality of the connections may well explain why my ndx2/Hugo comparison is a little unfair to say the least.
I will have another listen to the Hugo and compare floating/standard earth settings on the ndx2.
On another point, my ndx2 is (for no particular reason) currently connected to the din tuner input of the 52…is this likely to be an issue?
Cheers
Stewart

Just to see what my kit is up to today I put on Freddie freeloader, a miles davis track I know well…all good, still lots of smiles and amazement after all these years…then Spirit of Eden by talk talk, an album I don’t know so well: this is a profoundly moving experience as delivered by ndx2 and co…even more poignant knowing that mark Hollis passed away recently. If I can improve the system further I will but it has reached a sweet spot which I plan to enjoy for some time.

Naim NACs/preamp stages are designed to work optimally with one and only one earth ground connection… that is where the signal ground is connected to mains safety ground. The Hugo is floating so you you will to ensure the earth ground is separately grounded, either via the ground switch set to chassis, or another source that is earth/chassis grounded.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.