NDX2 vs nDAC

I don’t think anyone can answer that question for you 100% but in my system and to my ears the nDac does respond to improvements in the digital signal.

Best option is to borrow or demo an NDX and try it for yourself.

1 Like

I have been using the nDAC for almost 5 years and during this time I had very little opportunities to compare it to other DACs in a controlled environment.

I have bought it second hand together with a new SN2. I have decided from the very beginning that I would not buy an external power supply unless Naim comes out with a compatible nDAC 2. Thus, I do not how the nDAC performs with an external power supply.

There has been a major firmare upgrade (I think it was in Dec. 2015) that I thought had perceivably improved the sound quality of the nDAC. I mainly listen to classical music and occasionally a little bit of jazz. Generally speaking, I am very pleased with the sound quality of the nDAC. That said, there are a number of aspects that I would consider before buying an nDAC today. On the negative side these are, in more or less random order:

• The nDAC is rather sensitive to the quality of its input. This is probably true for most DACs but perhaps more modern designs are more source agnostic in comparison to the nDAC.

• While the sound quality on good recording is exceptional, I sometimes feel some fatigue on poor recordings, especially of large symphonies.

• If you buy a second hand nDAC now, you will probably need a service in a couple of years.

On the positive side I would count the number of inputs (apart from the Allo Digione, I have an Oppo 203, a Chromecast Audio and a TV connected to the nDAC), the straightforwardness and impeccable reliability and the absence of software bugs.

Have fun comparing the Mojo with the nDAC and … let us know your findings! Best, nbpf

1 Like

I do not know but if I had to replace the UnitiServe as a source for an nDAC with a Naim streamer I would rather go for a ND5 XS 2 rather than for a NDX.

If you feel comfortable with the UnitiServe software system, you could also consider replacing the UnitiServe with a Core.

Alternatively, you could feed the nDAC with a DigiOne Signature. With a good power supply, this would give you excellent sound quality and access to internet radio and internet streaming services.

The nDac responds exceptionally well to a power supply addition in my experience.

G

1 Like

Indeed, the NDAC is designed that when an additional powersupply is added, it splits the power into two, so is effectively fed by two seperate powersupplies, the internal powersupply for the digital electronics, and the added external powersupply for the analogue electronics.
Most orher components excluding the CD555, NDS or ND555 when adding an external supply, it simply substitutes and disables the internal powersupply. Clearly provides some benefit, but not the full benefit of split powersupplies as used by the NDAC.
For my tastes, the NDAC wasn’t not really my preference until I added an 555PS to it… a rather significant change in performance.

4 Likes

Having just grabbed an nDAC from the usual place and had it running for only a couple of hours, I must say it is a serious upgrade over my Musical Fidelity V-DAC2/V-PSU.

4 Likes

Thats good to hear, congratulations

I have no doubts that the nDAC would respond very well to an external PSU. But an external PSU would mean one more box an I do not want too many boxes in the living room. If I had a dedicated listening room things would be different.

If Naim had introduced a DAC 2, I would most likely have bought a 555. But without a clear upgrade path, I would now rather invest that money in a modern Chord DAC and keep the number of boxes in check.

3 Likes

Thats quick suzywong. I kind of entire you, my wife demands 40k more in savings for our future holiday home before I’m allowed to buy one :frowning:

Your holiday home will NEED a hifi system. So you could try floating the idea that buying hifi now will be a good investment for the new place.

You might even get away with it.

1 Like

more boxes? problem solved :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very nice solution!

1 Like

waf very high :joy:

1 Like

This is an interesting thread as I’m thinking of replacing my Unitiserve-SSD / n-DAC with an NDX2 - partly for it’s greater flexibility of inputs (stream Tidal for example). I’ve stuttered in this as I’m now finding references to feeding the NDX2 from a Naim server rather than direct from the NAS. I’m wondering therefore reading comments above of NDX2 v nDAC whether I my next upgrade should look to add a PSU to the nDAC / replace the Uniti or go for the NDX2. Any thoughts? Dealer has offered a trade-in on the Uniti which helps with the NDX2; is there a pressing argument for a streamer rather than NAS? I’m concerned it just adds another connection in the network loop (to occasionally drop as NAS and HiFi are in different rooms therefore network is in part wireless). Alternatively, can you plug a hard drive directly into the NDX2 (which you cannot with the Unitiserve (only a usb stick which is neither here nor there).
Thanks.

I can’t help with your nDAC questions but I am in my 3rd week with my NDX2 and would highly recommend it.

Yes you can connect a hard drive to the NDX2. I have an SSD connected via USB with my cd rips and hi-res (all Flac plus SACD rips as DSD64). The sound is excellent as is navigation via the Naim app on my iPad.

Streamed tidal is excellent and I also stream Quobuz via chrome cast. This is not as good as tidal direct from the streamer as I find a few stutters at first use.

Hi, what is the rest of your system? Is the Uniti part of it? An NDX2 may well make sense, and certainly gives you a wider range of streaming options. Whether or not it would be better as a sound quality upgrade than adding a PSU to your NDAC is another matter, and something you would need to listen to and decide for yourself.

Thanks for reply. So in all:
UnitiserveSSD
nDAC
NAT-03
NAC282
HiCap
NAP200
PMC TewentyFive.24 or Stax ear speakers

Tbh, I’m torn between changing the front end, adding a PSU to the front or upgrade to a NAP250DR.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.