Ndx2 vs nDac

I understand that this is what the OP did before realizing that he prefers the (NDX2 + PS555) + nDAC combo to the NDX2 + 555PS that he was planning to adopt.

yes,
I’m trying now to use NDX2+PS555 to see whether the sound improves by using it.
I will do it for some day and then check again this configuration vs. NDX2+PS555 + nDAC.

I’ll do it

The Naim DAC has the same DAC chip, analogue filter and i2v approach as the ND555 and NDS. It will be likely more insightful and superior to the NDX2 analogue out. As you say the Naim DAC has a strong low end performance.
I suggest you configure to suit.
The advanced NDX2 digital transport and streamer front feeding the NDAC/555PS will likely be sonically appealing… and putting the toe in to higher end Naim.
Albeit with NDX, I ran that combo for a number of years and really enjoyed it for many styles and genres.

2 Likes

Agree re the bottom end on the Ndac. The 555 ps gives massive soundstage and grunt

Fed with a decent transport( I use the Simaudio Mind 2 ) its a great source. The Super Lumina Din Din gives a good uplift as well

1 Like

If the OP is just using the Naim as a digital front end/ transport, then why not just use a ND5XS2? I didn’t think there was a lot of difference between the front ends on Naims cheaper streamers?

2 Likes

You have the control and display features which are quite extensive on the NDX2 and ND555. but sure if those usability aspects are not important, the powersupply advantage of the NDX2 over the ND5XS2 although real will be relatively small.
I chose the NDX2 over the ND5XS2 for exactly those reasons. Better usability, the display (which is superb) and subtly better digital out because of the larger PSU, but perhaps I’m fussy?
The ND5XS2 is a cracker, especially if you use its analogue output… it’s focus was sonic performance over anything else for its price budget… hence why other areas such as usability and control are slightly compromised.

2 Likes

After testing several configuration:
NDX2 + 555PS
NDX2 + 555PS +nDAC
NDX2 + nDAC + 555PS

I ended up that NDX2 + nDAC + 555PS is the one that sounds better to my ears.

I have to say that NDX2 + 555PS sound improved a lot after first days. So it was useful to let it play for some days and after 1 week there was no much difference between NDX2 + 555PS and NDX2 + 555PS + nDAC

But when I changed to NDX2 + nDAC + 555PS I still felt that bass were deeper and sound was fuller of details.

So I’ve just decided to stay with this configuration.

11 Likes

Very interesting! Thanks for doing this.

Adding a 555ps to my NDX2 completely transformed it.

There’s only one question left:

Would this be the ultimate - NDX2 + 555ps partnered with NDAC + 555ps

1 Like

Likely, but 4 boxes!!! Guess it’s fun to dream

1 Like

Yes, a bit better.
But ultimate source, no.

1 Like

nbpf, the latest dietpi update seems to have made GMrender unable to start on my allo digione, I am kind of losing patience with this device. RPI audio isn’t all that user friendly as it seems.

it really isn’t worth all the hassle? I have a google chrome cast audio which is equal in sound quality, much cheaper and works flawlessly.

Interesting but that’s not my experience. What is you setup precisely? I too have a Chromecas audio connected to the nDAC via optical. Compared to the DigiOne Signature, the Chromecast sounds rather flat and boring to my ears + system.

In my system, the DigiOne Signature is hosted by a RPi 3B+ and powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 (RPi side) and LTS-1.2 (clean side). With these power supplies, I have found the sound quality of the DigiOne Signature to be comparable to that of the Sonore ultraRendu (also powered by the JS-2) connected to the nDAC via a MC-3+ Smart Clock USB. I have not tried other streamers or servers recently.

I have used for years a minimal Raspbian Lite distribution (headless, no HDMI output, no internal sound card, no USB bus and wired Ethernet) running upmpdcli as a renderer.

Since a couple of weeks I am using GenTooPlayer, also running upmpdcli. I find GenTooPlayer to sound perhaps a bit better than my dedicated Raspbian Lite distribution.

I do not know GMrender but I find MPD (upmpdcli is just a front end for MPD) to be rock solid. I understand that MPD is also what most manufacturers of network player use: Bryston, Sonore, Antipodes … not sure what Naim, dCS and Melco actually use.

I never actually felt that using the DigiOne was an hassle. GenTooPlayer works out of the box. And it typically takes me about 20 minutes to install and setup my own Raspian Lite distribution from scratch (I have a few RPis at home and I have done this for some of my friends) on a fresh SD card.

After that, the devices runs very stably for years and without any maintenance. In fact the Raspbian Lite RPis are the most reliable devices in my household: more releiable than my wife’s iMac, iPhone and iPad and than our Sony TV. If I pick up my phone and open BubbleUPnP or Linn Kazoo, both myserver (an RPi 4 running MinimServer) and the RPi + DigiOne Signature renderer are there, ready to use and very responsive. The two Chromecast audio devices are also very reliable.

And expensive too.

Anyway I would say that I had the opportunity of doing all these tests as I already hold the nDAC.
In my opinion if you listen to a NDX2+555PS, you don’t feel you need something else. his sound is great.
Doing the comparison I found little better basses with nDAC (which I love, as I was a bass guitar player). It’s not a huge difference.
My initial objective was to sell the nDAC and maybe I’ll do it anyway in the future!

2 Likes

I don’t think so, NDX2 + 555PS partnered with ND555 + 2 * 555PS should sound even better!

But, given one NDX2, one nDAC and one 555PS, I think that what PPT has found out to sound the best for him is also what one would expect to sound best from the specifications. From this perspective, no surprise but an important confirmation.

The obvious question is whether a pure transport (for instance, in the same price class, the dCS Network Bridge) in place of the NDX2 wouldn’t sound even better. But this is a question for another thread, I guess.

I use Chromecast audio with my Chord Mojo and Chord Dave which it does a fantastic job.

I am struggling with dietpi - I am not an expert in pi stuff and cannot install raspbian lite on my own and then install UPMPDCLi later on… is there an easy way to do this?

Installing Raspbian Lite and upmpdcli is really straightforward (just follow the respective instruction) but, if you do not feel comfortable with that, you should probably use a turnkey solution like dietpi, Volumio, GenTooPlayer, etc.

If you have a spare SD card, I would suggest that you give GenTooPlayer a try. It has a very flexible web interface and the developer (antonellocaroli on audiophilestyle dot com, search for the GentooPlayer thread) is very supportive.

If you have troubles with GentooPlayer or Raspbian I might also be able to help you, in this case just send me a pm on audiophilestyle dot com.

I use mainly a qute2 to feed my ndac/xpsDR, the sound is acceptable and qute2 offers many digital services but i feel it is holding back my system. Now i am trying the rpi/digione signature option. I am not impressed by the sound: a bit little less enjoyable and hard compared with qute2, maybe a little more extended though. I use basic power supply for rpi side and a battery pack fro clean side and i know i can improve on that front and get better sound. I ordered an Uptone lps 1.2 to experiment further.
The main problem for rpi solution is that is not for everyone but for very few people (1 in 100 or less): i am using Linux OS as my main desktop for more than 20 years and it taked many time to understand and do a basic setup for this system, even easy “all packed in” audio distributions are a big hurdle for most people.

thanks, I installed Gentoo player on another SD card and made it work, not sure if it works for wi-fi otherwise it would be ideal for me.

I reinstalled dietpi 6.18 and all works normally, but this has been the 5th reinstall of dietpi, which is cumbersome

if gentoo allows wifi usage then it’s really good solution. thanks for your help