Ndx2 vs nDac

Thanks, not sure this allowed per forum rules, where does one acquire this gotham (also mentioned by Simon previously) cable in the UK?

2 Likes

Mine was from eBay. Iā€™ve just checked, it was indeed a Gotham cable, blue, with a choice of BNC and RCA plugs.

Sounds like you have a really nice system. NDX2 into the Dave. Iā€™m thinking about something similar but on a smaller (qutest) scale.

@ChrisSU

Hi Chris, interested in your setup, has it been possible to test the NDX2 DAC aspect vs the Dave?

Are you able to flick between the two?

I.e NDX2, Dave as pre only, 250?

:+1:t2:

1 Like

I did the comparison before I sold my 282, and thought Dave was way ahead of the NDX2 DAC. It just seemed so much easier to see into the recording and connect with the music, as well as having more detail, better bass extension, and a much better defined soundstage. Out of curiosity I also tried using the NDX2 in variable volume mode direct into 250, and that was another step down in performance.

1 Like

Unless you use mScaler - in which case it is 2 boxes.

1 Like

I do wish Naim would release an update nDAC to compete with Chord/others but I think itā€™s highly unlikely.

1 Like

why do Naim need to compete with Chord?

Each company got their house sound for digital sources (to my ears) (in the case of Chord - they claim their sources do not have any house sound)

Maybe that accounts in part for my own assessment of them sounding natural

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I like Chord so much, you get the sound of the studio - the aim is the closest approach to the original sound. Naim has its own sonic signature, which is also appealing. Itā€™s good to have both brands available as the buyer has a choice ā€¦ and for those awkward rooms there is always Linn with its superb space optimisation.

I guess unless one was in that very same studio nobody can say what the true studio sound was.

ā€¦not Chord nor Naim nor anybodyā€¦

Itā€™s just ones own preference for a type of soundā€¦unfortunately the common denominator cannot be studio sound as nobody knows what it was at the time of recording.

1 Like

Yes a very fair point - perhaps the illusion of the studio?

At least Chord does not overplay the importance of its amplification, but alludes discretely to its studio presence (Emoticon implied),

ā€œInnovative technologies and custom components within our stereo power amplifiers are what have propelled our power amplifiers to legendary status in and outside the recording studio. Their ability to instantaneously react and deliver sheer power, whilst maintaining transparency and incredibly low distortion leaves you with nothing but a masterpieceā€.

Donā€™t we all love marketing departments - the split infinitive gets me every time.

Agreed

+1

If you see Quadā€¦they use the wordsā€¦closest approachā€¦

1 Like

there is no real secret to the chord sound or rather transparency - usage of FIR filters as opposed to IIR filters, and having the FPGA doing the filtering to reach the specified accuracy - you get more accuracy as you pay more to go up the chord hierarchy.

Of course chord donā€™t use chip dacs as they claim their own custom built DAC technology sounds better (less distortion), and well to my ears I do like the results very very much

I do like the Naim sources very much too - but I canā€™t afford to have both at the same timeā€¦

2 Likes

And, Iā€™ve had the NDX2 about 4 months now. Already upgraded to the 282/HiCapdr/250DR from the SN3.
Very satisfying system.
TBH, I get to use this system a lot more than the 552/500 system at this point. That oneā€™s in the family room, and more TV being played nowadays.
Got the Sonos Beam for that TVā€¦

6 Likes

I have added a 250DR to the SN2 + hicap DR.
Suprised at the improvement in sound, particularly piano and bass.
Do you think adding a 282 would also improve the sound?

1 Like

Oh yes - with your NDX2+555PS as source, I think youā€™ll be really surprised at what a pre-amp upgrade will bring here. Take a listen and hear for yourself.

3 Likes

thanks Richard
i know its only a matter of time until i get one (i need to put a 252 out of my thoughts)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.