NDX2 with reliable, relatively fast WiFi - Problem?

Hi Dan T

Hiss from the loudspeakers is fine - quite normal with Naim amplifiers.

Have you got the 282’s CD input selected to RCA instead of DIN? You will need to re-programme the 282 if this is the case (see instruction manual).

Try putting the NDX2’s o/p into the 282’s TUNER input just to check all is well with the streamer.

Unless you have the Remote Link cable (3.5mm jack >> RCA plug) in place between the NDX2 & 282, then the app’s System Automation is of no relevance to the set-up or the issue you are experiencing.

Hope these thoughts help.

Tony

Tony!! My man.

Tuner has worked. What am I missing on the CD input?

Is there any benefit of CD vs Tuner?

This mornings choice is Tom Petty on Qobuz. 24/96.

Do you have a cable linking the streamer and amp to enable system automation? If not, turn it off in the Naim app in case that’s confusing things.

Elveriblanco, I do not have the cable you speak of. Is it bought separately? I don’t remember seeing anything else in the boxes.

Thankyou all for your help. Such a simple thing but I guess when you don’t know, you don’t know.

Yes it is a cable bought separately. We’ve all been there, I only figured out what system automation was all about in here recently with help from @anon4489532
In my case (ND5 XS2 and Nait XS2) all I needed was a cheap 3.5mm headphone jack each end cable to link the amp and streamer, with a 282 it might be different.

Thankyou. I will look into this.

So I can turn system automation off for the time being with no issue I assume?

Also is the tuner/cd exactly the same or is one more favoured for the NDX2 to connect into?

If you don’t have the cable linking them then turn it off. System automation lets you control the volume and switch inputs from the Naim app but you need the cable to link the two components for it to work.
In my case I have my streamer in the tuner input on my amp, I don’t think it makes any difference compared to the CD input but I’m more than happy to be corrected.
You might even find that the CD input works as expected when you switch system automation off in the app, if not Tony’s suggestion to reconfigure the CD input to DIN is probably what’s needed

That’s right. You can pick any input, and set it in the system automation setup.

No problem & happy to help…

Ignore System Automation for now (just disable it in the app). No lead is supplied with NDX2 or 282 for this - speak to your retailer if you wish to incorporate this feature. For a NDX2>282 you will need a 3.5MJ>RCA lead. If incorporated, you will then be able to control the 282’s volume, mute & input selection via the Naim app with Sys Automation enabled.

The CD input reprogramming is described in the 282 manual. You can use the CD input in either DIN or RCA mode, not both, so the CD input needs to be switched to DIN using the remote. (Same also applies to the AUX2 input btw.)

Some will say that the CD input is best, others will say use whatever input is available. You listen & choose what’s best for you.

Glad you have it effectively sorted. :+1:

Enjoy the music…

Tony

I assumed @DanT was referring to sq in the question regarding CD or tuner inputs rather than system automation and my understanding is that there shouldn’t be any difference but again I’m more than happy to be corrected

See here:

Regarding system automation, what BasicallySound said above. And if you search the forum for “system automation” you will find several recent threads detailing it all even more

And with the NDX2 remote as well, just to be complete

Tony, thanks again for your help. I have since turned it to DIN output and the CD input on the 282 now works which is great. Cant say I’ve noticed much difference in SQ by doing so but its nice to know how to use the input properly none the less.

Elverdiblanco, i was certainly referring to the SQ impact :slight_smile:

Thankyou all for the help, yesterday evening I was having a bit of a meltdown because I couldn’t work out (not thinking straight anyway at that time of night) why the lack of sound! Happily all resolved now and am certainly enjoying the upgrade over the DAC V1.

1 Like

Just thought I would update this thread with my thoughts on the system so far.

Coming from the fantastic little V1 into a big upgrade by comparison with the NDX2/282/HCDR i can only conclude it is money well spent.

I am impressed. So far the new units have about 170hrs on them and it certainly appears to my ears that things continue to improve a bit at a time. Its a satisfying feeling, the weight behind this setup compared to the previous V1 is substantial and I think its safe to say if I took it away and put the V1 back in it would all feel very 2D, if that makes sense.

As far as the future of my hifi goes, I have found myself thinking more about the PSU on the NDX2 being the next move. I also can’t deny looking into hifi racks with enough room on them to accommodate 6 boxes for potential future proofing. Down the rabbit hole I go…and what a journey it is!

1 Like

If it were me, i would get a rack first (fraim obviously!) to get the components working optimally. Good cable dressing etc is important. Then consider the xpsdr.

1 Like

I’ve just had an NDX2 screen freeze, selected a next track to play and it seemed to take a little longer to load up which I thought was abit odd.

So I turned everything off and on again, a power cycle as such and it seems that has done the whole system a world of good. Can’t quite believe it if I’m honest, better midrange no question about it, wasn’t expecting this at all.

I wonder if it was down to the NDX2 having frozen sounding flat, rebooting everything and clearing any issues. 100% not placebo. Any science behind it do you think @Richard.Dane ?

A power cycle has been mostly effective in the past as far as I can see.

I get a aimilar occasional need to power cycle with my NDX2 - yesterday I used the Play/Pause button to pause and it wouldn’t play again - from any of the remote, the app, the P/P button. A quick unplug/replug on the rear socket sorted it.

Interesting yes. Did you notice a lift in performance after ?

Strangely, yes on some occasions I do perceive a greater clairty on reboot. I am powering my system down at least once, sometimes twice, a week at the moment anyway as I introduce changed components & interconnects - for the NDX2 two weeks ago it was an XPS-DR power supply and a DC-1 cable to my separate DAC, this week a HiLine for direct connection NDX2/282 - all very worthwhile improvements.

The NDX2 is a great component and it is well worth overlooking the minor irritations. I do use the remote and display and although I am very familiar with iPhone & iPad apps I like having the physical alternative - e.g. when my devices are upstairs and I just want to start the RP internet radio stream in the morning, and include my Atom in the multiroom scenario - all possible via the remote when half asleep!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.