NDX2/XPSDR is it good enough for a 252?

I’ve always been more of an analog kid but decided to add a new NDX2 and Preloved XPSDR to my system. Granted it’s much better than the ND5XS2/NDAC it replaced but it still seems out of its depth with the freshly serviced 252. Especially when compared to the LP12. I guess I was expecting more with the cost. It has its moments but overall slightly disappointing. It’s 8 weeks old tomorrow. Does it take a while to bed-in? The 252 seems to be getting better every week.

It’s the first time I’ve invested significant money in streaming so any thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

1 Like

Wait for the response onslaught nicnaim

I can’t comment as don’t have streamer

All I know is the LP12/252/250DR is a fantastic combo

3 Likes

I used to have ndx2 xpsdr into 52/135s
Excellent system
David

The short answer is, yes, it is good enough. Give both the 252 and NDX2 more time (6 months). I had the same setup and it’s excellent. I only changed to the 555PS as an used opportunity came up when I was selling some gear.

7 Likes

Considering many people ran an older NDX/XPSdr into a 252…

3 Likes

I’ll second Mikes shout I’m just seating back enjoying that combo as I type. Comes a point where any improvement is minute and comes at great costs, with that comes the risk of poverty divorce and being a social outcast.

7 Likes

A combination I have used until recently and would happily have stayed with. At times simply stunning. As others have said, maybe needs more time? Perhaps the difference in presentation with the LP12 may be the issue though. You may just simply prefer vinyl, in which case there is probably no streamer to match your preference.
Hope it all comes on song though. It did for me, but it took a while!

2 Likes

I hope so!

We’re just upgrading to 252 (awaiting rack) and intend to use NDX2 as transport into nDAC/XPSDR until we get a 555.

We’ll compare NDX2/XPSDR to NDX2/nDAC/XPSDR in our own system/room once burnt in. There are thousands of posts on this so we’ll use our ears to decide what stays.

4 Likes

Of course it is, enjoy the music.

1 Like

I run a humble NDX bare into 52/135s and it holds its own against my Akurate(ish) LP12. Or is it Selekt(ish) now? Linn just confuses me these days :blush:. NDX2/XPS DR should match your 252 perfectly.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, @nicnaim, do you have a Power-Line on the XPS DR? I recently added one and was really surprised at the amount of uplift. It just seems to unleash all the capabilities of this source combination.

3 Likes

Yes great shout. I added a PowerLine to my XPS DR just recently and it is astonishingly good with the NDX 2. Also a EE 8Switch and 3 x AQ Vodka Ethernet cables was yet another marvellous leap into this joyful hobby of ours. Oh, and of course a HiLine :rofl:

2 Likes

I saw you had the same experience as me, Stephen. I really was not expecting how much a Power-Line could bring in that context. The difference was not subtle and the decision to keep it in was a very quick one.

1 Like

Had the NDX2+XPSDR as home-demo on my 252 a while ago. Excellent match. After all they are the top dogs in the classic range.

If my CDS3 cops out and new stuff comes out from Naim, i.e. NDS2 then i might be tempted to get a home demo assuming it can be powered by an XPS2 non DR. Either that or aries and vega 2.1, but as already suggested if i win the lottery for a second time :rofl:

I too have a 52 rather than a 252, but…

FWIW, my NDX2 + XPSDR is about as good in SQ as my CDS2/PS.

With good vinyl, my LP12 can often be better, but also different obviously. While I could do better in streaming, adding the XPS a couple of years ago stopped that particular itch.

1 Like

I have my NDX2/XPSDR with 552/300DR so yes!

1 Like

I do not at the moment. I’m an AV Options TibiaPlus on it. I have Powerlines on the SupercapDR and the 250DR. I will switch one and try it out. Thanks!

1 Like

I recently upgraded the LP12 with the Karmen, Keel and Radikal2 and it’s really taken it beyond my wildest dreams.

I will definitely give it more time to come on song.

You’re welcome! Really curious to know how it goes.