Nearfield actives for Atom HE

I have AE1 actives in a second system. Pretty speakers, especially on their dedicated stands and sound good, too. Whilst no match for my active ATC SCM40s at several times the cost, in their price range I reckon they’re very hard to beat. They have class A/B amps, if that matters, and balanced XLR inputs, so long cables are no problem.

Roger

Roger, thanks.
What are they like close up? Do they need space to sound ok?
My plan is low volumes on the desk in front of me.

Mine are about 160cm, tweeter to tweeter and a similar distance from the listening position. I guess that counts as nearfield? There’s about 40 cm between the back of the speakers and the wall behind and the left one is around 25cm from a bookcase to one side. They do have controls on the back which allow a small amount of bass and treble boost and cut to allow for some adjustment in position. I have them on the dedicated stands, so I’m not sure how they’d sound on a desk. I suspect putting them on mini stands would be beneficial, but that’s purely a guess.

Roger

tx,
mine would be 1m apart, 80cm from listening position and backs to the wall…

Kef Lsx ?

From « Numeriques « site.

2 Likes

I have an Atom HE that I want to use as DAC/pre I need a passive speaker + NAP or an Active with power only. No need for wireless, built in DAC etc.

1 Like

… but they are very good…

Yes, maybe, but I can’t look at those all day.

I use Qacoustics on my desk but if I was after actives, I’d almost certainly go for PMC Result6 nearfield monitors.

Bit pricey but took me into the world of studio monitors… Rokit RP-5 G4 look to be about what I need.

I have an Atom HE with Genelec 8020D’s. They look better in the flesh (high quality aluminium), but I still wouldn’t describe them as beautiful. They fit my desk aesthetic well enough.

Sound wise, they are neutral, precise and transparent, as you’d expect. I find them a touch sterile, but I guess that reflects the monitor heritage. Given the small size they don’t generate a lot of bass, so I’m toying with getting the accompanying subwoofer to see how that balances them out. Suspect this will help, but probably won’t overcome the slightly boring presentation.

What I like about them is the dip switches on the back which allow you to adjust the frequency to accommodate real-world limitations around desktop setup and distance to back walls. This removes all of the challenges I’ve had with positioning traditional speakers for nearfield listening. I also like the extensive range of products that Genelec offer which allows you to find a size of speaker that perfectly fits your environment.

So, in short, this is the best speaker I’ve found so far for desk / nearfield listening. I did have some Proac Tab 10 Sigs on demo which were great on a desk set-up, but just took a bit too much real estate up and didn’t want to be too close to the back wall to sound their best. They did sound good though :slight_smile:

1 Like

My desk is more domestic….
I’ve just picked up a pair of Rokit RP5 G4 in white.
I can sell them on if I don’t like them, but they have good reviews and built in EQ.
Will report back.

Probably the last thing I thought you’d pick… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

small, clean, modern look. Doesn’t look like something out of an ‘ICT dept store’ - Kind of Apple style…

I guess I’m just used to looking at Genelecs…

Interesting to see that the KRKs use DSP for the EQ.

1 Like

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :slight_smile:

Haven’t tried them near field or on my desk, but on their dedicated stands, my AE1 actives sound great on the end of my Atom HE in my fairly large living room.

1 Like

Rokit RP5 G4 nicely unobtrusive on the windowsill… Sound a bit flat out of the box. But I added the same EQ settings for now as I use on my Focal Elegia (Audirvana) and all sounds great.

4 Likes

I have a nap100 And ith bowers 705s2. Its quite nice. I think u can pick up 705 s2 for 1500

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.