Necessary that NAC52 and Supercap have matching serials?

There were mainly two colours: brown (early) and green (late). However, there were shades of each and it has always been difficult to exactly match colours.

Here’s a photo of my collection of Naim Olive items from 18 months ago to illustrate my point.

The Olive Grove!

I have since sold some items.

13 Likes

Wow - enough pre-amps :+1:

The colour changed over time. The story I was told by Naim’s head of QA was that the fellow that the fascia supplier who was responsible for mixing up the colour passed away. With him went the formula, so whoever took over would take one of the facias from the most recently made batch and then would try to match up the colour as closely as possible. What inevitably happened was that the colour started drifted from a fairly brownish olive, to what it eventually was, which was a rather grey olive green. By the time Naim found out what was happening, it was too late…

Naim used to offer a fascia matching service through the service dept. and many fascias have been swapped around over the years accordingly, so if you have an early unit with a grey olive fascia, or a late unit with a brown olive facia, now you know why…

3 Likes

Gotta have a spare, and a spare spare!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d say I have 3 shades.

Top one is CDSPS. 2002

Next is Supercap. 2001 but looks greyest

Bottom 2 are 135s. Reboxed in about 2002. Brownest. They are matching in colour. I think the flash is distorting it.

But maybe the rebooked ones got older fascias.

[Edit} Having read Richard’s post above it seems they got browner over time. I had assumed brown was to some extent a deterioration. So the colour range of mine makes sense.

That is What i am currently missing. A spare :smirk:

What is reboxing?
Lets hope that the 2000 52 will match the 2001 135.
Chances are good. 52 had no Fascia change

They got greyer over time.

My 135s started as Chrome Bumper versions. At one point you could pay to get them moved into Olive boxes to match the rest of your kit.

Apologies. I misread your post. The colours of my stuff are a bit of a mystery then.

1 Like

They’ve probably been swapped then - see the last paragraph of my post above.

1 Like

Haven’t we all :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

:joy:

I have posted this before but will say it again. I have sixteen assorted olive boxes ranging from 1993 to 2002.

They are all grey-olive apart from my NAXO2-4 (1994) and SNAXO2-4 (1995) which are brown olive.

It used to irritate…but then I went over to the “Black” side…

It’s not grey…it’s platinum-blonde!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.