Need a cart for Rega P8

Looking for a cartridge for my Rega P8. In the past Rega cartridges never really floated my boat. I know there are quite a few P8 users on the forum, what non Rega cart are you using?

Budget would be £500-£700 new or lightly used.

An Ortofon 2m Black would be ideal if you are looking for a MM. Can hold its own against many MCs.
I use a Bronze on my P8…but I think @anon4489532 has a Black.

4 Likes

What about one of the Rega MCs? For your budget you could get an Ania Pro. You get the advantage of having a cart made to perfectly complement your arm and also take advantage of three point mounting.

2 Likes

Thanks Neil, that’s not a bad shout. I hadn’t considered MM to be honest.

I should go and have a listen to one I think. Historicity Rega carts have rarely hit the spot for me.

I understand that. I loved the old Supex based R100, but never really got on with the Elys. The Apheta 2 though is excellent and the Ania Pro is supposedly quite similar but a little more forgiving and a bit more affordable.

1 Like

The 2M Black works fantastically well in my Rega. I bought it on dealer recommendation, as I wanted an MM to use with my Supernait 3’s inbuilt phono stage. I’ve never found cheap MCs to be that great.

2 Likes

Purchased an RP8 with Apheta 2 yesterday. Stunning combination imo.

2 Likes

Consider the Nagaoka MP-500.

2 Likes

I too have had mixed experiences with Rega cartridges in the past, but the Ania Pro is really excellent and what I currently use on my P8. Wholeheartedly recommended. The Ortofon 2M Black is excellent too, but a different animal - very detailed and clean, which is (very) good in the right system but borders on clinical in the wrong one.

2 Likes

I’m also using the Ania Pro. But on my P6 with a Rega Aria. I am really happy with it. That said I don’t have much experience with other carts other than the standard Ania.

1 Like

I’ll need to try and hear an Ania Pro I think.

1 Like

Benz Micro ACE SL here, albeit on a Rega RB330 on my Michell Gyro SE.
My TT accounts for about 50% of my listening time, split with the ndx2.

A number of dealers have commented on it being one of the best cartridges at that price point. Think it was £700?

1 Like

Anybody using a Hana cartridge?

Yep. Great cart. Hana SL in to a Goldnote ph/ps10.

Open, clear and controlled. A very good match for the Naim sound imo.

2 Likes

Excalibur are top!

1 Like

I seemed to have bought a lightly used Hana SL. Looking forward to receiving it. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts.

4 Likes

I miss typed the above thread, I’ve actually bought a lightly use ML! And have to say I’m over the moon with it. Very pleased. :grin:

1 Like

I’m using an Audio-technica AT33PTG/II MC on my P8 and I’m very happy with it. A great cartridge for the price. I tried a 2M black but I prefer the AT with my phono stage.

1 Like

I looked at the ML when I bought the SL but was concerned about the height if the ML. Have you had to put a spacer in to raise the arm?

1 Like