Need a cart for Rega P8

The AT33 is one of my favourite cartridges and think it’s the benchmark cartridge.
Having said that the ML does improve on it, as it should at twice the price. But I I have heard other carts at twice the price that in my system didn’t improve on it.

2 Likes

I haven’t put a spacer in yet but thinking about it. Doesn’t sound ‘off’ so not sure I’ll bother.

Do you know what the height of a Rega cart is compared to the ML?

No, but I read that the ml was 1.5 mm higher than the sl, probably due to the copper slipper. The SL is only just clear on my P8, so I wondered about the ml. If it is still has clearance then all is good. I’m not over keen on spacers unless the manufacturers intention.

1 Like

I may try some Acoustic Signature spacers to see if there are any benefits in raising the tone arm. I’ll report back.

They are not produced anymore. Difficult to find now. I recently bought the Tad audio spacer, similar. No need to remove the arm.

1 Like

I didn’t realise that. There appears to be some availability in the UK just now so better order!

1 Like

The acoustic signature ones? I couldn’t find online 2 months ago. So if these ones, better order quickly.

1 Like

Yes, acoustic signature. Struggling to find TAD in the UK.

1 Like

Just a reminder, though it has been said a few times…
Rega does not recommend the use of spacers on its TTs and in my previous experience the use of a spacer resulted in a deterioration in the sound/music.

I’m not familiar with Rega arms, but generally, raising the bearing end of the arm will brighten the sound fractionally and reduce bass fractionally. If you are happy with the sound now I would leave it alone.

You only need to raise the arm imo if the cart is likely to drag or catch on non flat records. With the Hana SL there is a small clearance, with the ML I would need to test as it is reportedly 1.5 mm taller. That would likely cause a problem on my P8.

Your own experience is not universal. Maybe you just didn’t need a spacer in your case.
Hundreds of members use spacers with great results on Rega decks. Rega recommends to buy their carts….it’s commercial.

You should come to listen to my P10/ Kleos with 3 mn spacer. Smooth, 180 Deg soundstage, bombastic bass and explosive dynamics.

Indeed…but I did say that it was my experience, rather than proven and/or universal.

Jtlewis, the problem is that you are repeating that opinion so often that it’s like you wanted to show it’s a rule. My feeling.

1. I plead guilty.
  2. In mitigation…neither is it a rule that a spacer is used to adjust for arm height.
    …best for each of us to find out for ourselves in our own situations.
1 Like

I prefer that. Sorry to have shared what I had on the heart.

C’est bon. L’entant cordiale vivre.

Feel like a google translate problem. Entente cordiale….but after?
Say it in english, but with a space(r) between each word :star_struck:

L’Entente Cordiale est vivant.

1 Like