Need a new streamer

Hi, I’ve just joined your forum!
I currently mainly have Cyrus kit plus two Gold Note power amps.
I have the Cyrus Stream Xa with a PSXR attached.
I’m total fed up with the Cyrus Cadence app and want to change my streamer as a result. I’m considering the Naim ND5 XS2.
I would appreciate your thoughts, please!

Hi, welcome to the forum ….

Read along this thread - @Rupeteam is nearly there…

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/sq-issue-chord-qutest-vs-uniti-atom/18498

The ND5XS2 using its own internal DAC is pretty good to. That’s where I started.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and information!
I am also considering the innuos zen mk3 and its matching power supply!
How does this compare to the Naim ND5 XS2?

Do you mean the ZenMini3 with the additional external LPSU, or the Zen 3 ?

These topics have been covered on other posts/threads. My preference would be the ND5XS2, with a separate NAS or storage device - for which you can start with a USB drive / stick. If you are just streaming from Qobuz or Tidal then that leans even more towards a ND5XS2

Here’s another recent thread with useful info:

Hi, Yes, I mean the ZenMini3 with the additional external LPSU vs the Naim ND5 XS2
Cheers

ND5XS2 would be the preferred option (not just because this is the Naim forum).
The ZenMini3, even with LPSU, is more relevant for file storage and playback as a server accessed by a streamer such as the ND5 XS2.
The “ZM3” can be an output device direct to a DAC (via USB) or use it’s own DAC, but I didn’t find those methods got close to a ND5XS2 in sound quality terms.

T-elmi, thank you for this!

I have a demo of both arranged for the week after next at my Hifi dealer, Martin’s Hifi in Norwich. I have had great service and advice from them over many years!

3 Likes

Post your conclusion here after audition of the two, I would love to read it.

are you using the DAC in the Stream x or do you have a DAC in one of your other Cyrus boxes too? the Cyrus QX/XR dacs are generally pretty good, so depending on that you could jsut get a transport - Even something like Node would be a better interface than Cyrus’s awful App… I used a Node 2i into a Cyrus QX DAC (in an 8 integrated) for a while and it was a good simple solution…

If not too late do try an Auralic Altair G1 as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.