Need advice re a headphone amp

After trading in my 272 on a 252/SC DR I’m now having to add a headphone amp. I don’t use the headphones much but would like to have to option if I need to. My dealer suggested a Headline 2 which apart from not having a remote suits my needs. Question is should I also purchase a separate PS like a NAPSC or run it off my 252. Just about every thread praises the addition of a PS to any of Naims black boxes so it seems obvious but some think it’s ok to use the pre amp.

Question is after an expensive upgrade that I’m very happy with and don’t want risk will I hear a difference either way.

To PS or not to PS.

Pete, I just added a Headline 2 when I purchased the 282. I was fortunate to purchase a used one from my dealer which have with a NAPSC and for me with my Grado GS1000e headphones they sound mighty sweet. I use the headphones the majority of time in the late evening when my wife has gone off to bed and having to set/adjust the volume manually has not been an issue.

I can not speak to running off the 252 but with the relationship you have with your dealer he should be able to loan you a NAPSC to demo to use for a week or more so you can make a decision.

Good luck with your decision.

1 Like

Yes I’ll probably take both home which was my intention but @Mike_S suggrsted that there maybe no real advantage to having the separate PS.

1 Like

I may have miss understood the SC though….

My dealer also thinks that you wouldn’t notice any change from n SQ

Unless you want to stay in the Naim ecosystem something like a woo Audio wa6 will be noticeably better…

2 Likes

I was looking at the iFi Can as well but I’ll investigate, cheers.

Sorry to say that with the explosion of the headphone market over the past decade there are numerous headphone amplifiers which better the Headline.

Take a look at HeadAmp - the GSX Mini or GSX MK2. The GSX MK2 was used by Focal, together with the nDAC, in developing the Utopia headphone.

Best
Gregg

2 Likes

Budget?

Lots of good H.amps out there. The only product in my system that has strayed from Naim. Not sure Trilogy available in Oz though.

Bruce

2 Likes

My advice would be, if you can find a nice cheap one for sale secondhand then get one, but if paying new price then other options are much better value and can sound better as well

2 Likes

I’m very happy with my ifi Zen Can but the Topping A50s is another option in this price range. Also has pentaconn balanced output.

Dave

1 Like

The iFi Can seems like a bargain, have you had any issues with it.

I’ve been very happy with the Zen Can into HD650 headphones. Mine came with the iPower supply.

One thing to consider, if you also want to use it as a pre-amp it only has a balanced (pentaconn) output.

Lots of very positive reviews online.

Dave

1 Like

Pete, if you don’t headphones generally, why do you want absolutely to buy one?
Can’t you first borrow an headphone from a dealer, just to see if you will like enough the experience to use it regularly ?
If you have your pocket burning, I can send you my bank numbers account.

1 Like

I’m lucky Mrs Pete would sleep through world war 3 and my studio is 3 floors below the main bedroom (and offset), so I don’t use them that often. We do have a lot visitors and it would be nice to have the option of using the headphones when needed. My dealer allows me to take anything home to audition.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.