Need Help with Fault Diagnosis

I have an olive 250 that I’m pretty sure needs a re-cap (it was last done about 10 years ago). I’ve been getting static-like noise and distortion on the right channel. It was pretty infrequent until recently, when I rebuilt my rack, changed speaker cable and changed cartridges. I suspect powering the 250 up and down several times exacerbated the need for a re-cap. It had been powered up all the time. The thing that puzzles me is that after playing 7 LP’s with the new cartridge (top AT-OC9) I gave it a clean with Lyra’s cleaner. I am now getting a popping sound in the right channel sometimes when playing records. No popping sound with other sources. So my question is do I also have a cartridge problem or is this just another sign of the 250 needing a re-cap?

I suspect this is the 250 not responding well to a biggish low frequency signal coming from a slight wobble or whatever on a record.

In any case I would get that fixed first and keep your fingers crossed re the cartridge.

Best

David

1 Like

The 250 is due a service anyway.:slightly_smiling_face:
The tantalums needed replacing on my 250 after five years as the amp was oscillating on both channels. Darran at Class A did the work confirming that the previous service was done by Naim so it’s definitely worth getting it checked out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.