Need more oomph

I don’t understand throwing cash at something just make something work when matching the speakers and amp will give far better results.
It seems like someone just wants to spend their way out of a problem.
In this instance the tail is wagging the dog.
Your money I’m out.

4 Likes

Yes, if you’re using them in a fairly large room (and like it loud), the Supernait may run out of puff.

The Kanta 2 are easier to drive - more than happy on an SN3.

Generally, I would suggest more toe-in, though: you’ll get better imaging, which should lift the performance.

3 Likes

Yes this has been my findings also. The 92/90.3 was/is a very capable amplifier indeed, despite it’s low power rating.

1 Like

Not sure i agree, as it depends on what the endgame is. imho it can be more cost effective to make bigger jumps and less changes if you have an a target and you dont have the funds (or inclination) to do it in one go.

1 Like

This is the rabbit hole that I’m trying to avoid disappearing down. Point taken :+1:

1 Like

If you want to move later on separates, why not.
But you could have bought instead the SN2, it would have been less cost effective.

My experience is the room has a phenomenal effect on bass…are your speakers about 300 to 400 from the wall this can cause a dip in response at around 100hz … I suggest you try altering your speaker and seating location…

Yes, that’s the way I’m approaching this. The speakers were going to be spec’d so that they couldn’t be outgrown too easily when I hit around to getting the amps I want.

Yes, I’m a volume chaser, haha!

I had a first gen SN and was never satisfied with it. It put me on a quick trajectory to separates. I never liked the 102/202 either and after a good deal on a SC I went straight to a 252, with a 200 briefly but ultimately a 250.2. I’m currently using a 272 and find the compromise of combining a streamer and preamp more sonic friendly than combining pre and power. Especially with a 250DR and 555PS. YMMV.

It seems odd to have mid bass missing but not low bass, so I wonder if it is the room. Have you tried playing with speaker and listening positions?

You could do worse than measure tge response in your room: REW (“Room Equalisation Wizard”) which is free software which is an excellent tool for measuring room response, and assessing different positioning, far far quicker (and more accurate) than doing by ear. You’ll also need a measuring microphone - the one REW recommends is only a little over £100 new, maybe 2/3rds of that secondhand, and easily moved on if no longer wanted.

What speakers did you have before the Kanras, and how did they perform?

@Richieroo they’re about 8" from the wall. In defence of the equipment, the room is bass hungry, hence looking at larger cabinet speakers.
Thanks for the input.

How much room either side?

I’ll second the post by @Innocent_Bystander

If you have deep low bass and you have it at low volumes too, then I’d try moving your system to as many different locations around the house as possibly to hear the difference. You could have cancellation at certain frequencies giving the illusion of not enough drive.

If it turns out that a supernait doesn’t give you enough drive then it’ll be really expensive to fix that through amplification. In that case I’d personally change speakers. Learn about the specs to look for in a speaker that’s an easy load and compile a list of options. Then go listen if possible. It makes the world of difference!

2 Likes

If you need more oomph do you mean you want to listen to music louder and have more power?

I know it’s different but had a Nait 5si and that didn’t have enough oomph. Changed to 82 HiCap with 250 CB and that ran out of oomph but was better especially with Focal Aria 936s. Now have 2 x 135s and 82 with Supercap 2. Much better at driving loud.

TBH if you want loud powerful music maybe a 282, HiCap DR with 300DR would be more the thing. Plenty of power and would work better with your speakers.

Or an alternative more powerful 3rd party integrated amp could work like a McIntosh? They do integrated amps in excess of 300 amps per channel.

Is this the kind of power you want?

As Clare says, a SuperNait and the Kanta 2s are a great match. I run mine with a SN2 in a fairly large room (at the upper end of what Focal recommend for them) and the sound is very natural and engaging. How big is your room? Too big for the Kanta 2s? Might be worth a try.

And as others have recommended, placement may be the biggest issue. I played around a lot before finding optimal positioning for them and a good listening spot. Clare is also right that toe in is important, as recommended by Focal in the manual.

Best of luck! I do love my Kantas, having demo’d several others.

1 Like

It sounds like you are fighting the room a bit…suggest that you put your room dims into a room mode calculator…and workout the most suitable location…REW can also help…it has room mode prediction section… Walk around the room with a 100hz test tone playing and see where it goes loud and quiet…

I’m not suggesting it might be the cause, but does anyone know if the preamp stage is likely to need running in if the SN3 was running in AV bypass since new?

How long has it been running as a “normal” integrated?

1 Like

If the dealer’s coming to you next week give him a free hand to reposition and see what he can achieve.

You could get a good powered sub which would give you great slam … you need a good sealed one like this SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofer this will make into a bit of a bass god… I used a Velodyne DD10+ which is fast and epic…the SVS has dsp and works with your phone…you would not be disappointed…

Methinks he needs a small PA or Disco seems to getting beyond the realms of hi fi and into theatre or nightclub. :thinking: