Neil Peart RIP

Such sad news, the man was the mainstay of one of the greatest progressive rock acts of all time and will be sorely missed by fans and friends alike.
RIP Neil

2 Likes

I just read of Neil’s passing this morning, very sad indeed. My first Rush album was Signals, after hearing the track ‘Countdown’ on Radio 1’s Friday Rockshow with Tommy Vance. Great album and I thoroughly overplayed it, my favourite track becoming ‘The Weapon’, Neil’s drums and percussion were awe inspiring. My sincere sympathies to those he has left behind.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Very sad. Was introduced to Rush by a good friend who also departed this mortal coil far, far too young.

Very saddened by his much too early departure. Strangely, I was reading his book Ghost Rider - Travelling on the Healing Road, and actually finished it on a flight on Tuesday 7 Jan (with, I’ll admit, a bit of an emotional moment when reading the end about getting married again and having finally found some purpose in life again) only to be told by my son two days ago, when returning back home, that Neil Peart had passed (the same day I had finished the book). He was an extraordinary drummer, beyond belief really, a brilliant lyricist and an intelligent, humoristic and sympathetic human being. He will be greatly missed. Rush has been part of my life for more than 30 years and fortunately I got to see them live twice.

7 Likes

As a drummer of 35 yrs, I am very upset to hear this. He and Simon Phillips are my number one inspirations. :drum:

1 Like

I was introduced to Rush back in 1977 after the release of Farewell to Kings. I have been lucky enough to have seen them on every UK tour since Permanent Waves in 1980.
After the release of the R30 tour video, my son who was 10 at the time, watched the Neil Peart drum solo (posted above) on repeat for hours. It was watching this that made him want to play the drums, 14 years later he is now a very accomplished drummer.
Neil Peart has been a huge influence on his playing and he has been lucky enough to see him play live 3 times. It was he that told me about his death yesterday.
Neil Peart leaves behind a vast body of work both playing and writing spanning 45 years
Even though Rush had stopped touring back in 2015 and knowing we would never see him behind the drum kit again his death has come as such a shock
“The Professor” is dead, long live “The Professor”
Neil Peart R.I.P.

6 Likes

My track was Xanadu, on what I think was The Friday Rock Show’s 1st birthday show in probs 1979. Loved it, and it added to 2112 that I’d started to get into.

No point listing tracks, Neil was a genius. Rush were genius, and still are. Currently watching Xanadu on YT. Superb.

4 Likes

I think I discovered The Friday Rock Show in 1982 which opened up a whole new world of music to my ears as most of my school mates just followed the ‘charts’ which never really appealed to me.

2 Likes

So sad. I recently revisited a casual interest in Rush after watching a documentary on their last ever tour.
I only saw Rush live once, a schoolmate was more of a fan and I went and saw them (I think it was sometime after the All The Worlds A Stage live album that we were into at the time) at the Brighton Centre and it completely blew me away. One of those gigs that stay indelibly carved into the subconscious.
RIP and blessings
Neal Peart
:heart:

1 Like

Interesting mention of The Friday Rock Show, thats missed as well IMO
This gives me chills and takes me WAY back

2 Likes

After years of listening to Friday Rock Show I had built up a mental image of TV as some kind of supercool biker dude so I was slightly, how can I say, disappointed the first time I saw him hosting TOTP!

1 Like

The Friday Rock Show theme is a track called Take It Off The Top by The Dixie Dregs. Find the right version and you’re right back there, sans TV on the radio of course.

1 Like

The Music Vendor…

Then off to The Granary in Bristol. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I was about 16 in 1978. An evening at my mate’s house with his Sharp Music Centre, finish off with TFRS then bike home at midnight. Good times. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic get that C120 cassette recorder ready to pres REC.

1 Like

I still have some cassettes of TV’s shows from ‘78, ‘79. No idea what’s on them as haven’t had a cassette player since 2001.

Glad I kept my Walkie Pro :sunglasses:

And a pencil just in case the bloody thing unspools

2 Likes