Neither of the remote control sets are working Volume or Balance on a brand new 552 pre-amp

Received a brand new 552 yesterday and set it up last night. However, both the volume and balance nobs are not reacting to either of the two remote hand sets which came with the pre-amp. All other functions as far as I can see are working, like assigning the phono inputs for my Naim Soltice turntable.

I’m thinking that the 552 might have some sort of servo fault and may need to be returned?

Please can you help.

Dave Waldie

Welcome Dave. I would contact your supplying Naim dealer and let them know. Out of interest, does the 552 respond to other commands via the remotes?

It may be something simple like a ribbon connector has slightly moved and dislodged if the box took a bump along the way with the courier. I take it the dealer did not install the unit for you (perhaps understandable right now).

1 Like

Yes all of the other commands seem to be working fine, just not the volume or balance.

I guess it could well be a ribbon connector. Perhaps @NeilS has some ideas here?

Sorry to hear of this David, obviously something is not right. It could be any number of things causing the problem.
Best get it back to your dealer. How frustrating for you! :anguished:

Regards
Neil.

Now, I’m no engineer, something I’m eternally grateful for, but if it is something as simple as a dislodged ribbon connector as Richard suggests, is it not beyond the whit of man to use a connector that doesn’t get dislodged in transit? It seems like such a basic thing that a tighter fit could easily solve. A £25,000 preamp should not be affected by such a thing, which sounds more like something out of Wallace & Gromit. Trouser malfunction!!

2 Likes

Probably this connector sounds best :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Holy craperoo…I never realised the balance could work remotely…just tried it and yes it does work… thanks for the query…but I am sorry your remote operation is not working…

1 Like

I wouldn’t think a loose ribbon would be the culprit, the ribbon that carries the pot motor control signals is a pretty robust fit - it’s the same type that is used to connect the logo in all the remote controllable units. Not out of the question of course, but without looking at it, impossible to say.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

This could be as simple as pressing the “pre” button. Press that first. Then volume. Had that problem on my SN3.

1 Like

I expect you may be right……happened to me with a new SN2.

Not the case here, as the volume and balance work regardless of whether pre has been pressed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.