Network Access Points & WiFi

True, although stuff like those nasty Hive devices and other things we have on our network… get locked down (isolated as who knows what they are doing - could be packet sniffing for all I know) and given a host name, manually, so I dont need to look up the IP or MAC address.

Don’t get me started on IPv6… just look at the BT implemention or lack of. Do you remember the mad rush to buy up the last remaining address spaces for IPv4? hahahaha.

Yes, their implementation is good now (other than their DNSs are accessed via ipv4 currently). I think universal for consumer. I use where I can as it can route quicker across the Internet (less hops quicker RTD)… probably good for your gaming.
All the IPV4 addresses are exhausted now, and have been for some time… you need to use a provider aggregated address/subnet if you need to use new static ipv4 addresses now - ie you lease the address from a service provider.
All the main cloud service providers i am aware of are ipv6 - with ipv4 for backwards compatibility.

1 Like

Yes, I am one of those fortunate Sky pro old customers with a static IP still in use and holding on as long as I can… very useful for working from home with IP inbound restrictions.

I don’t think apple was particularly good at networking when they were actually into it. Malla you have spent a lot of effort creating a very tidy solution with seriously obsolete kit, get some Ubiquiti in there or similar.

Yes, they were purchased a long time ago but are really stable. A new AP will definitively be on the list from Ubiquiti (when they finally die). I spent a long time chasing walls and running Cat7 around, so it’s a nice easy swap out.

Nothing wrong at all with Edgerouters if you know how to get the best out of them.

Nothing wrong with them, but do require a certain amount of fiddling around with creating JSONs for full connection (as opposed to basic connection) with many UK ISPs. You do also of course need a modem as well, as they are Ethernet presentation only.

To be honest for anyone using VDSL (Fibre Broadband) wanting max performance on an Openreach network with a major ISP like BT or Sky , I would recommend they use the ISP provided router/modem, for full interoperability and performance to get the max performance from VDSL such as vectoring support and DSLAM chipset performance interoperability etc … if you are at the steep part of the throughput distance curve, that can be the difference between say 28 Mbps and 48 Mbps down load sync speed.(my actual example)

I use a Ubiquiti router which handles DHCP, DPI, Firewall etc - in conjunction with the ISP **** modems from Sky and BT but both are in DMZ mode. I have dual 80Mbit into the house, so I can have manual failure over.

I don’t believe BT provide modems only… and getting my Ubiquiti router to fully inter work with BT was a mare… and I never succeeded 100%. Basic ipv4 connection was simple… but what is the point of using premium provider if you don’t take example of their services and transport performance optimisations.

OK, I’ll rephrase, its a router in modem like mode by the fact its in DMZ mode.

Sure that is what I ran for a couple of years, until I realised due to the physical and link layer limitations due to poor interoperability, I discovered my line was profiled and my performance was about 60% of what it is currently.
I had been using a Vigor modem with a Huawei cabinet … although the Vigor firmware was optimised for Huawei connectivity, clearly not optimised enough… and reading the BT Community forums I was not alone.

I’ve sync’d at about 78 and about 180m from cab. Both lines are in the same BT duct and performance is almost identifical. Id wager that it at that point comes mainly down to the internal routers software. The old BT Fibre modems were good, I used a RS232 connection directly on the board to enable SSH… but found some rather strange IP ranges being opened up - so it was ditched.

Well you are lucky with that distance, you won’t need any optimisations and could almost use wet string :grinning:. I am about 680 metres and it’s a very different story

lol!

Just checked your picture… so you appear to be using BT Smart Hub router? (Bottom left)
If so you will be getting full optimisations from BT (whether you need them or not), and full routing from BT.
Also the Smart Hub has full IPV6 integration.

Yes. It has a slightly higher sync rate than Sky (and use this as primary). Although, I still use some sevices via Sky because I have a static IP which is useful.

Yeah, I’m on ECI hardware…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.