Network Doesn’t Find NAS

I have a once in a while annoyance & am looking for ideas on the cause.
Once in while i.e. it last happened late last year sometime in Nov/Dec, then again yesterday.
This is with Windows 10 & Synology NAS. When I open File Explorer to get into the file structure & access to the NAS, e.g. to upload an album, either directly via Network>NAS or via the mapped NAS share, it opens normally most every time, except in the last few months with these two refusal events.
It will not open NAS access on the network, it asks for my network credentials & refuses the correct password.
The fix is a system power cycle, including the wireless hub, not exactly difficult, just a damn nuisance.
Anyone have ideas about cause & how to avoid ???

Two thoughts from me Mike. Firstly when you have to power cycle everything, do you always power cycle everything? Because I suggest next time you methodically try to see which power cycle fixes it. I reckon it will probably be the NAS itself or possibly the Superhub or possibly both. I have never seen the request for signing in issue except…

…for the single exception that my VM super hub 2ac sometimes tries to make me do that if I’m trying to get onto the 2.4 GHz WiFi with a device, invariably an iPhone, that it already knows. Putting in the correct details then always fails. I always have to power cycle just the VM superhub and then it all works again. So now I have almost nothing connected to the 2.4 GHz on the Superhub and the problem has gone away.

Best

David

Hi David, thanks for the input.
You’ve captured my thoughts for next time, I intend to try only a power cycle on the BT SH2. If that doesn’t fix it, then I’ll try the NAS, then the NDX, finally a whole system again.
After thinking about it in the cold light of dawn, I have a suspicion that this coincided with a one of the once a fortnight BT system resets - it was OK when I loaded a new album last week, luckily I did note on the BT UI that the hub had auto reset on 1st April, I found the problem on 3rd.
Might be coincidence, but it’s the chief suspect.

Another thing you can check next time are the network stats of the Windows machine.

When an upstream router / dhcp server resets, linux devices such as a NAS are capable to receive a new IP address but will also keep their old address up, in case any devices were still accessing the old address. Windows devices however don’t do this, so sometimes they can drop their IP’s back to a local range which is outside of the rest of the subnet.

So if for example the Windows machine before had an IP in the 192.168.* or 10.0.* range (LAN), they can drop back to a 169.* address when the upstream router is temporarily unavailable:

https://packetlife.net/blog/2008/sep/24/169-254-0-0-addresses-explained/

The Windows machine can still retain it’s default gateway through NAT, which means that it will be able to reach internet addresses, but it will then lose connectivity to other devices on the LAN which are in a different subnet.

Edit:

P.s., if this is the cause of the issue, then you should be able to fix it by only rebooting the Windows machine, or by disconnecting and then reconnecting it’s wifi.

Thanks for the suggestion litemotiv, I checked for IP address changes the first time it happened last year. But no, the BT SH2 always keeps its IP addresses. With the BT SH2 you can’t stray into out of licence band IP’s, its more or less tinker-proof DHCP. I have manually set my NDX, NAS & iPad IP numbers in sequence & set to “Always use this IP address”, & thats been solid since I first got this hub.

Hi Mike, i meant the Windows machine specifically/locally in that case, it can decide to change it’s own IP address outside the DHCP range under certain circumstances. So you could check this on the Windows machine itself by bringing up it’s network properties. It won’t be visible in the BT interface or anywhere else.

No, nothing has changed. I checked this & recorded details last time
Same IP & Gateway numbers

Would setting the NAS to cycle over night or weekly help?

I used to do this as minimserver would occasionally hang so this fixed it. I switched it off while setting up bubbleupnp but will go back to it.

I have my ISP modem and my router on a smart plug for the same reason. If I cycle daily, I (subjectively) sense a consistently better internet. Especially as I love CoD multiplayer and I’m obsessed with latency, congestion and generally rubbish isp kit.

Maybe setting to period cycling overnight may fix

That’s generally a bad idea as the Open Reach equipment will detect that you’re dropping the line too frequently and assume a fault. It will then reduce the ‘speed’ of the connection to compensate, along with a change to the signal/noise ratio, which is what it’s actually trying to affect to give more signal than noise - a common cause of dropped lines.

This assumes you’re in the UK, I don’t know about elsewhere.

2 Likes

Yes, UK on Virgin Media.

If not daily, weekly?

Mike

I had the same problem with W10/qnap a few years ago. Obviously I can’t remember exactly how I got round the problem.

But, I think it involved finding an IP address and subsequently copying it into the address bar.

Also, creating a shortcut???

1 Like

Just checked if the Qnap is visible on the network. It isn’t.

However, asset, miniserve and LMS are visible on the network. If I click a shortcut to asset it loads up http://192.168.0.11:45537/.
Delete :45537/ press enter and I’m at the qnap login page.

I doubt it, I can use & access the NAS GUI without problems when this problem happens.
Its asking me to conform my network credentials, that means its lost or has a problem establishing a network connection, I suspect a corrupt link.

Also as Tallguy says, its a bad idea to keep refreshing a broadband connection, the ISP service thinks you have an intermittent or bad line & will slow down the line speed to try to compensate.

1 Like

Sorry couldn’t help but thanks for the pointer on the ISP link.

1 Like

Hi Fatcat, I’m talking about access to NAS via File Explorer (Finder on MAC) to view & manipulate files in NAS ‘Music’ share
I have the Music tree mapped & normally get to in via that, but it the same if I access via NAS direct.

If you look up the properties of the link in explorer, what is the network path that it refers to? It might give you clues into what could change at certain times that would make the path unreachable.

1 Like

Hi again, re NAS being visible on your network …
I only know Windows, so sorry if you’re Mac, but how to in Windows 10 is as follows
Start menu > Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Change adapter options.
Select the connection you are using and click “Change settings of this connection”.
In the “This connection uses the following items” list, double-click “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”.
Click the “Advanced” button, and go to the “WINS” tab.
Click “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP”, then OK & OK on each of the Windows boxes to save all of the settings on exit.

Mike.

That didn’t change anything, but I discovered the Qnap nas was there all the time. However, it is labelled minimserver. When I double click it; it opens up minimserver status page. When I scan the network with Fing, the minimserver is listed, but when I look at the details, it indicates it is a Qnap TS-112. :scream_cat:

I think I’ll leave it alone, it’s not much of a problem to me and everything else is working correctly. :innocent:

What you see is actually Minimserver, if it opens a Minimserver status page.
This is what I see in File Explorer, its opening from NAS or from the mapped (\NAS) path that this thread is all about.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.