Network problems

I would like some help with my
Network. I have two networks on my
Bt hub first is the normal bt network and there is a second called musicnet for my
Hi-fi. Unfortunately I am
Unable to log on to the music net network now.
The bt network is working fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this. I have switched everything off and on but that didn’t work.

Thanks

Did you setup the second “musicnet” network?

Why do you need to have a secondary LAN subnet?

Is there a static route setup in your BT router between the separate LAN’s?

Which version of the BT Hub are you using?

If you know the IP address subnet range of the music net network, can you manually configure an IP address on your PC and connect to it successfully?

I’m inclined to agree whth MrM on this, running everything on a single network is probably going to be more reliable. Is there a specific reason you need to run a separate network (or subnet?)

Thank you for the reply. When the system was set up for me by the dealer then a second
network was created . I can go back to the dealer on Tuesday .

You’re usually best off keeping things as simple as possible. Having all client devices on a single LAN Network address range (like 192.168.1.xxx) means device A can always see and connect to device B if nothing else. The standard residential BT Hubs don’t let you make these sorts of modifications and with good reason in most cases.
If you still find yourself scratching your head by all means pop back here and someone will guide you in the right direction.

I have always used a local sub-net (even before I set up my music network).

It takes the load off the ISP modem/router and cannot be interfered with by the ISP.
The network stays up and works if ISP modem/router goes down which is more likely than the sub-net going down.
Originally you could get faster and more stable wireless from a good sub-net.
Makes a change of ISP modem/router a doddle as nothing changes.

I think a firm from Glasgow recommends using a sub-net and they know a thing or too.

What you say makes no sense. If you really want to go off piste and fiddling about with these things you can just as easily separate out the modem, router and switching in to separate hardware. Having all devices on a single private network that’s sitting behind NAT is as simple as it gets and is unlikely to get you in to situations you don’t understand how to get yourself out of.
Aside from setting up your own WiFi password, you shouldn’t need to do anything to a BT Hub to have it working as intended and without issues.

2 Likes

Why would you want your network up if the ISP modem/router goes down? Do you do some intensive intranet communication inhouse which is totally isolated from the internet?

Many networked devices talk to each other over a LAN, not least music streamers and local servers. Obviously you don’t need a subnet for any of that, but you need your network to keep on working with or without an internet connection which for most is controlled be their ISP supplied router.

You don’t need any secondary or third subnet for anything unless you do something highly sophisticated which requires a cooperation of a grid network of servers in-house and that has nothing with the internet or the isp. But i doubt the he does any research or software development, or maybe he does some sort of bitcoin mining, but that will require communication to the outside world, which means the internet.

In my home, there is only one LAN, and computers, ipads, iphones still talking to each other even when the internet is down. So in another word, no separate subnet is needed unless you do some kind of highly sophisticated work for whatever reason.

1 Like

I don’t understand the thinking that a subnet reduces pressure on the router, if anything it would increase it?

Because the music network keeps on working (excepting obviously Internet based services).

I have used one for around fifteen years and it has worked well for me.

@Paul_C Can you describe your setup in a bit more detail?

Everyone is using a local subnet. There’s also no reason that sub-net would go down if the Internet goes down, it will just lose it’s connection to the Internet. Which is what you also describe, so it’s not clear to me how it differs from anyone else’s setup.

It is a secondary router linked to the ISP modem/router which takes over control of the local network and works independently unless it needs to access the wider Internet (say radio/Qobuz).

Everyone has a network not a sub-net.

Yes I run my music network including my “NAS” with 25,000 tracks.

I assume everyone understands the problems double NAT causes.

Thanks for explaining.

Assuming we’re talking (routable) IP networks, everyone’s network is a subnet.

1 Like

Don’t forget, it’s called a Subnet Mask for a reason.

1 Like

No problem.

I think I can understand your setup a little better looking at your profile. If you’re on a cable (DOCSIS) residential service, if you have a service outage the ISP router (assuming you’re a UK based Virgin Media customer) will effectively reboot and attempt to syncronise and authenticate with the network (CMTS). When this happens all routing and DHCP address allocation is reset and the LAN becomes inoperable till service is resumed on the WAN/Cable side of your Gateway/Router.
A simple way to avoid the LAN being effected is to setup your ISP router in Bridge Mode, making it behave as a Modem as opposed to a Router, and then connect a seperate Router of your own that’s managing the LAN and DHCP address allocation.
You could then if you wish put specific hosts (based on their MAC address) in to seperate subnets although the amount of traffic, in particular broadcast traffic even on a LAN with hundreds of host devices is unlikely to push a modern router to a point where it’s resource constrained.
You can also handle traffic segregation in a managed switch if you wanted to, again the effort vs the real world benefits are likely marginal but all possible scenarios.
I split out my incoming VDSL2 circuit between a Modem, Router and multiple managed switches with priority queues for certain traffic types.
Your primary overhead on a Cable service is latency and service group contention. In an over subscribed service group you may see latency overheads at peak use times beyond your control regardless of how split/filtered/prioritised your traffic classes are.

1 Like