Networking & Streaming Optimization for Noobs

I’ve ripped my CDs a few times, my original rips were default 128AAC for handheld devices and that library is stored on a separate drive. I did a separate rip of my CDs for my hifi library at lossless/AIFF.

That’s a good idea. Is XLD still considered a good ripping software? I have that app still I think.

I use the latest version of XLD without problem, it still has verification of a good rip.

1 Like

Something must be very wrong for this to be the case. And more wrong than the “wrong” ethernet cable brand…

And I disagree with the premise that adding a switch between the airport and your nas and streamer would make a remarkable difference in sound quality – again, unless something was very wrong. The Airport has a little switch built into it, and would direct network traffic just fine among the devices plugged into the back of it.

The more I listen the more I think it’s more of a perception due to the volume difference of iRadio and the UPnP inputs. I recall an input trim setting in the Naim app so it seems like this would be useful.

Ok after lots of testing I’ve concluded my NAS files sound better than a comparative file getting played via RP 320k. Where I noticed the RP 320K sounded better than my QNAP FLAC/AIFF was in instances where RP had a superior recording. Where I was able to determine we had the same recording the QNAP sounded quite a lot better.

A general query about editing meta data. I think I’m regressing on some of the things I’ve learned that I don’t use very often.

I recently noticed in the Naim App I had two Elvis Presley folders under Artist. One named “Elvis Presley” that contained a half dozen albums and one folder named “Elvis” that contained one album.

I want to have all the Elvis albums under one folder named “Elvis Presley” so I went to my Bliss HQ app on the QNAP and found the album and changed/edited the name from “Elivs” to “Elvis Presley”. After doing so the Naim App correctly had all the Elvis albums under the “Elvis Presley” folder.

Being the inquisitive person I am I looked in the file manager of the QNAP and discovered said Elvis album was still stored in a folder named only “Elvis”.

Is this normal? In my mind I’d like to have the files/folders on the QNAP correspond to how they are classified in the Naim App. Perhaps this doesn’t matter but I’d like to understand how the file system works from the QNAP to the Naim App.

Metadata is used by the media server to organise how you are the data. The folders the you put the files in are not relevant and aren’t needed at all. Like you though I have all my artists in their own folder.

Ok, not sure I understand 100%. I did try and rename the folder on the QNAP (through File Station) and the Naim App could no longer find the file to play, even after restarting the QNAP, Asset, and naim app. So I changed it back.

It’s the metadata that is important not the folders. You could have your entire collection in one single folder if you wish but it’s easier for us humans to manage with a folder per artist. And in my case a folder per album under each artist.
It just makes it easier for me to manage. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks, that makes sense.

It looks like I’m going to re-rip some of my library and have some new additions as well.

Historically I’ve used XLD to rip with a Samsung DVD writer I happened to have (see link) and curious if I should consider this arrangement for ideal AIFF rips.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.