Never underestimate warm up

Nobody knows yet for sure! :wink:

Haha. I did didnā€™t I

Are you sure that is not SBL crossovers though. I would look at my SL2 crossovers but canā€™t be bothered to take them off the back of the speaker tonight.

Re speakers. At what point on the curve do they start to become loose and lose control?

Thereā€™s only one day in their life where they work best

1 Like

I think mine are still improving :wink:

Iā€™m looking forward to the next 20 years

Maybe thatā€™s now. Better make the most of it then.

1 Like

Iā€™m just hoping to survive the next twenty years. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, the looking forward is strictly limited to the hifi :wink:

For sure it should be enjoyed now and not boxed up for retirement day.
So one element left to service then possibly. I shall ask again about the crossovers to see if itā€™s a good idea to get them serviced.

Has anyone ever thought, how on earth do you develop any HiFi component. Presumably once you put something together, you then have to wait for say 2 weeks of use before you know if its any better :thinking:

6 months! I once read someone saying their digital cable needed a year of burn-in until it was really good :hear_no_evil:

Good points. Do you think warm up is exclusive to Naim or that Naim is particularly sensitive to this. I donā€™t have alot of experience with other equipment. The Auralic Altair G1 seems less fussy in that respect but I suspect most things need to warm up before they fully come on song.
I did listen to some system built around Melvin, chord Dave, EAR pre/power into living voice obx rw3 which was very good. I suspect that also has a warm up effect

As has been raised earlier in this thread there is ā€œburn-inā€ (permanent change through an initial period of use) and ā€œwarm upā€ (change from turn-on to steady state as components change temperature due to electrical power). In my earlier post I tried to address this difference in relation to speakers. These are quite different things and Iā€™m still not clear which you mean.

But in considering all this, donā€™t forget that there are other factors in play that: i) you get used to a sound over time, so something you donā€™t like at first you can come to like as you get accustomed. ii) Memory of sound is not an absolute reference, so it is not very valid to try to compare the sound one day with that some time in the past, unless you were listening to specific and easily discernible details, checking repeatability, and took precise descriptive notes at the time. iii) Your ears/hearing are not constant, hearing frequently changing, sometimes very subtly, sometimes less so - which can include during the course of a listening session.

A brand new Naim needs at least 2 months to be really stable and sound amazing

Supposedly I was looking at the SL2 PXO but think both use the same PXO anyway.

Ok thanks. Are there any links to pictures that do not breach forum rules.

I think we can discount the burn in and reaching steady state from switch on because this was already the case. Of course these factors are important. I am simply suggesting tgat the speakers also take a bit of time to come on song as well.

Do you mean on each occasion or from new? I did cover both in my first postā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.