New amp little concern

Thank’s Halibut,
I could change the main lead…unfortunately the problem’s still here.

Hi Neil, no I changed the amp and PS.

1 Like

Do you mean that you have changed it and the problem is still there, or the problem is that the PowerLine is stuck and cannot be removed?

I think Athos means he managed to change the lead after your advice but the problem is still present.
Best
David

In that case, take it back and ask for a replacement. Simple as that really.

2 Likes

Ok, I was trying to establish if the PS was “known good”.

The head unit has devices that track the temperature of the heatsinks & adjust the fan speed accordingly. If the heatsink temperature continues to rise to 70 degrees, it fires a circuit inside the power supply to heat a resistor attached to a thermal trip to interupt the mains supply. This is why the power is restored after a period of time when the resistor cools down.

Sounds like your 300/PS combo definitely has a fault, but it’s difficult to say which item is the problem.

An afterthought - have you got the Burndy leads connected the correct way round?

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

I’ll check that again, and see my dealer.

He told me to try with the loudpeakers unplugged; if the problem’s still here, I’ll have to bring it back.

I got two other boxes 3 days ago.
The pair is installed since yesterday and it “survived” its first night : it’s still “on” this morning.
Pfiou !
I suppose I’ll never know what was the problem with the other one.
I cross fingers now, hoping my new NAP300DR will work for long years without failure.
This way, I won’t regret not to have bought a second hand one (which I found …).

Time for listening now.

1 Like

Glad things appear to be OK. Look foward to your thoughts when it is properly bedded in.

1 Like

Blimey. I bought my 300 in 2004. Not serviced yet, not DRed, it never misses a beat and always delivers. Not even a blown fuse. Hope the new boxes solve the problem and are as reliable as my old workhorse.

Did that solve it then?

Yes, no problem now.
The burning in is in progress, three weeks now.

Difficult to make a review, and compare to my previous 300, but I can try :
Maybe: I felt more space, silence, more detail mainly.
More space in depth.
Apart from that, bass maybe stronger, because I had one complain from neighbours. :slight_smile:
Mids maybe less prominent…
Anyway, it works fine.
Really impressive on single instruments recordings. Piano is a gem.
That doesn’t mean all recordings are a heaven for the ear. The quality of these is a big factor…
I don’t know if it’s supposed to improve…and if I would be able to catch it…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.