New boxes incoming

Ivdz, as I said I thought the NDX2/555ps was an absolutely superb combination in my system however I find the system is much more engaging with the ND555, piano notes are rather special with the ND555 likewise complex passages of music are more easily followed one thing I have looked for in a system is for it enjoyable a lower listening levels which my system with the ND555 seems rather good at.

Only one way to find out and that is with a home demo I did in fact order a NDX2 on the day they were announced but after speaker to my dealer he advised to home demo a 555ps on my original NDX which I did but unknown to me when he brought out the 555ps and installed it in my system he had the shop ND555 in the van and offered a home demo of that as well a order was placed for the 555ps and ND555 48 hours later !!!

1 Like

Those home demos sound fraught with danger :grinning:

The system is sounding great but I’ve got the balance shifted over to about 2’oclock on the 252 to get the vocals in the middle. On the 272 I had to shift the balance +1 (of 10) in the same direction so could well be a room thing (there is wall of mirrored wardrobes adjacent to the speaker which sounds quieter). The system will be moving soon so not overly fussed but wondered if there a point when a balance bias points to a problem in the system? Could also be my aging ears I guess…

PS my dealer who’s waiting on the NDX2 has an ND555 in stock. Tempted I’ll admit

Hi @pcd many thanks for your insights !!! I ordered an ND555 last week replacing my current NDX2 …. in all fairness; I didn’t do the home demo. Cheers Iver

2 Likes

In principle, sure. BUT, if it was the same with the 272, it is probably not the 252 and probably only leaves the 300 or the speakers as the cause, apart from the room - possible but unlikely, I suppose. I would wait until you move it before changing anything.

My 252 balance pot is dead center (unless the volume is very low as usual) but other members reported it being a bit off. In this case, it is just a question of pulling it off and rotating it by a notch (taking care of LED cables)

Glad you like it, I was a bit concerned earlier when your wrote “a bit special :grimacing:”.

On the balance problem it’s got worse. If I power down and restart the system then both channels sound the same but after a few minutes playing the right channel goes much lower, 50% or more.

If I disconnect the 252/SC and just run the 272 directly into the 300 then the problem goes away, so I don’t think it’s the 272 or power amp. I’ve tried the other line in on the 252 and I’ve also swapped the interconnects, but the problem remains on the right channel.

I think it might be the Supercap. It’s a 20 year old model that was traded in to the dealer. I’ve tried swapping the cables plugged into the outputs and I’ve also tried using the other SC output (3) but the problem stays on the right channel. So I don’t think it’s at the output end of the SC but at the input or possibly in between. The 252 is a 2021 model so I think it’s unlikely to be that.

A call to the dealer I think…

Smart dealer :grinning:

Lol yeah I know right!

In fairness I emailed them this morning and got a reply within the hour even though they’re closed. Their service has been excellent.

1 Like

Wow @IvdZ your system has changed dramatically over the past few short years. Congratulations! I look forward to reading your comments.

1 Like

The loss of sound was due to the old Chord Cobra interconnect - age had caught up with it.

So now I’m using another old Cambridge Audio interconnect which is working fine on both channels - so long as long as the cable sits the right way. What have they been up to in that box in my garage for the last decade or so :thinking:

2 Likes

Done that upgrade path too. Picking up an ND555 & PS to replace the NDX2 on Saturday

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.