New Bruce Springsteen LP

I saw Bruce Springsteen in London at around that time, but I’m unsure about either Hammersmith or ‘legendary’.

It’s this gig I think. First Springsteen performance in London

Good stuff mike and graham. Good replies.

I don’t live in the England, not even close so I can’t comment on record shops in your area. I have about 1,000 records but I’m sure ye have countless more and know every note :wink:

It’s not nostalgic thing for me to visit record shops or that I have a brick and mortar place to save or buy coloured vinyl (still miss the black football boot. Not even easy to find when shopping anymore) but I guess it’s more a societal thing. Of course things change and life progresses but I worry about the final destination.

I’m still a kid but am old soul at heart. I refuse to get involved in social media, still tell friends to put their phone away if we are out, still get off on social interaction that means having great conversations on the phone if we can’t meet in person, praying shops don’t disappear while besos gets richer, Musk a great innovator but just shut up, Trump, putin, Xi please go back the holes you climbed out of etc because I’m going to the great record shops in the lovely little towns upstate New York to have a great day finding a treat. If I can’t find “Bowie at the Beeb” then I will venture online.

See ye in 6 months when I’m back :slight_smile:

Have fun.

1 Like

I don’t know about the legendary, it was a real event and I was there! I did not think of it as particularly important at the time, it was just a concert I went to that I really enjoyed and was impressed by the artist and the music which as it happened started a lifelong interest.

Mind you I went to see Alex Harvey & SAHB either that year or the next (prob 1976) and that was a real blast that band knew how to put on a show and could really rock!

1 Like

Missed this tread

Yes I was at that concert at Hammersmith Odeon in 1975 and famous it was

I knew I was seeing an artist which was to become famous and last a lifetime

He did a version of pretty flamingo ( I think Manfred Man band tune ??) and it was mighty

Still remember it vividly

1 Like

Well yes another glorious band Robinho was SAHB

Saw them quite a number of times and what a live act they were

Pity they never ruled the world I loved them

2 Likes

Album out today. After an initial listen I can only say “why”? The reviews thus far have been polite and largely tried to talk up a couple of the lighter songs. You can diet of see why. An utterly pointless album.

1 Like

Not heard the album yet but a nice motor on the sleeve :slight_smile:

It’s not available on Qobuz yet, but tbh I’m not in a hurry to listen to it.

Being a Springsteen fan I was a bit sceptical so I held off buying the vinyl. Just listened to it on Qobuz - I’m pleasantly surprised I liked it!

3 Likes

I’ve just given it a spin and I’m pleasantly surprised, great choice of songs extremely well produced and it sounds fantastic. I’ll be playing it again.

It’s a much better attempt at the well trodden American song book rubbish that others have insulted us with , yes I am referring to Rod.

4 Likes

I’m streaming on Qobuz just now and I’m certainly enjoying.

3 Likes

Lots of damning with faint praise here. I sense that people don’t have high expectations for the record.

Are we reading the same page? This is not damning, nor is it faint praise.

1 Like

We clearly have a different assessment of what has been written. So be it.

Not a fan, only have a 90’s Greatest Hits CD, but have really enjoyed this via Qobuz & will have certainly be listening again.

Theres no faint or damming praise from me, I not only totally enjoyed it and definitely will be playing again. I’ve also downloaded it to listen in the car or out walking.

I’m not alone critics seem to like it as well most given it either 4 stars out 5 or 7-8 out of 10.

Think you’re misreading some people’s concerns about Springsteen (or anyone for that matter) doing a covers album. However I think he’s nailed it.

4 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

Someone explain the covers of Nightshift and What Becomes Of The Broken-hearted to me.

Both are pointless replications which add nothing to the originals; don’t let you see them in a different light; don’t change your perspective and in the case of the former… we’ll it’s just ridiculous and more than a little insulting really. An embarrassing low point in his career. A note for note replication of a song he simply has no business singing; sounds more than a tad silly doing so and… well words fail really.

Mrs. H. and I sat and listened and, as she observed it’s fun; it’s singalong but it’s also pointless and not really Bruce Springsteen. There is also an undercurrent of cultural appropriation which is inescapable. For me though sadly this is a sign of how bad things are. Anyone who has seen Springsteen up to about 1999 will know that his choice of cover versions has been damn near immaculate and his versions both different and dynamic - his versions of Trapped and Follow That Dream spring to mind - here the choices are dodgy to say the least and the performances expose the increasing limitations of his voice, which even I as a lifelong fan must concede is something of a one note hoarse fog horn at this point, and his inability to capture the emotion in a song. His version of Don’t Play That Song is a brilliant example of this. Within 30 seconds all I could hear was Max Bygraves doing Singalongamax and that was that really.

1 Like

I guess we’re all entitled to our opinion.

2 Likes