New Bruce Springsteen LP

And what a fantastic album that is, my second fave BS album…

It’s a hugely under-rated record I think.

1 Like

I think that I have managed to buy a copy (my Visa card is screwing me around). Once (or if) I get the record, I may be able to work out whether I attended that concert. I saw BS a number of times around that period, which was just when I was starting University, and I think that I may well have been there, but I’m not sure.

Does anyone know if it was just the one night at that venue?

He did two shows in the UK 18/11 & 24/11 both at Hammersmith Odeon. Then did not tour UK until 1981.

Thank you, David. I must have been at one of those then, as I remember travelling up to London from Oxford for a Springsteen show. (I started work in London in late 1979.)

Oh well, another reason to look forward to hearing the record!

My memory has somewhat faded also Graham

Something back in my grey matter is saying that there may have been 2 nights

I know I was at the first night . He did a great version of Manfred Mann’s “Pretty Flamingo” :+1:

Oops missed this David thanks - yes I do remember didn’t do a tour

Yep got it Endon - quality just Ok but good for the day

I agree re SQ- just about ok! It’s more about what that gig achieved in an historical context- introducing Bruce to the UK.

This is one with Pretty Flamingo, download via Nugs…great show

Oh maybe I was at the second show then - grey matter fades

He’s 73.
He’s about to start a world tour and will do approx 3 hours each gig.
Mmm….

Good reply and I’d endorse what you say. I’ve loved Bruce for years but my musical curiosity increases as I get older and this album (I’ve got the orange vinyl version) is well thought through, played superbly and what’s more has opened the door for me to explore such great artists as Tyrone Davis and Jerry Butler.
As for some being note for note like the originals how many artists start interpreting great songs only to ruin them. I’d rather the songs are treated with the respect Bruce obviously has in the ones chosen for this album.

2 Likes

‘Nebraska’ and ‘Tunnel of Love’ for me. Mainly because I associate them with significant formative phases in my life.

G

I am sure that goes for many of us (possibly the majority) here, about our own favourites?

3 Likes

Some classic songs; production immaculate; arrangements impeccable … however - regrettably - overall impression left me cold - vocals sounded like Bruce by numbers - not the artist that hooked me all these years ago.

Really? I found the whole album uplifting. Sounded like a bloke who just wanted to sing and share tracks that he grew up with and loved.
His remarkable album output allows him that indulgence I think.

3 Likes

Thought I wouldn’t be all that interested in this album but have to say I like it quite a lot after streaming it a few times in the car. It’s upbeat, uncomplicated and sympathetic (and good sounding too). Spinning for a second time as I write this.

3 Likes