New Cartridge for LP12/Ittok into Naim NAC82 with N Boards

I have an 82 into 2 x 135s. Dynavector 10X5 bought used on eBay for around £300. Have an LP12, Kore, Cirkus and Lingo 1.

The Dynavector has been a good improvement and upgrade on the Goldring 1042.

The 10X5 seems to be doing well and I use the turntable for around 15 hours a week and have the cartridge for around 18 months now. It was changed from the Goldring and at the same time had the Cirkus and Kore upgrade done.

I think it’s a good value cartridge and worth buying ex demo or lightly used.

The Dynavector 20X2H looks good.

Hana high output MC cartridges also look like an option.

Ortofon 2M Black MM is highly recommended too.

I am thinking to the future of going down the low output MC route with a different phono stage, arm and the Radikal power supply in 2 or 3 years time, funds permitting.

I am very happy with the 10x5mk2 and if it comes to the end of it’s life before I do a series of upgrades I would be looking at the cartridges mentioned above.

2 Likes

I actually think around that pricepoint there are many excellent options, and you probably can’t go far wrong with any of the suggestions if they suit your TT/tonearm. Assuming reviews don’t suggest a major negative departure from your current DV it would seem a safe bet and likely a big improvment over a 20 year old cartridge but we do get used to the slowly changing signatures of equipment especially cartridges.

Demoing is much harder these days, but even 20-30 years ago I don’t think there were that many options at individual dealers unless going for really bespoke options.

1 Like

@Alley_Cat - In my view, you are far too sensible, logical and helpful, for this Forum… :speak_no_evil:

Very much agree, re changes over long time periods. I think the ‘revelatory’ apparent sonic changes often reported could well be at least in part due to the change from an ‘old’ to a ‘new’ item.

Proof is available in the posts from people who have had their units serviced after say 8 - 10 - 15 or more years. I rest my case… :thinking:

@Dan_M - Another far-too-sensible post - :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad you like your 10X5 - for only £300…? So someone didn’t like it…? Their loss, your gain… :smirk:

I think I will probably do 10X again - for the 4th time (after 10X, 10X2, 10X4).

Another ‘tweak’ I may look into is running a 10X into S boards, instead of N’s. But thats a whole new challenge to find some… hmm… :thinking:

I got my Ittok bearings and wiring upgraded first to get the best from my preferred Linn Krystal.

Sorry, I am in the cheap seats , here. The Linn Krystal is over £1k…? Way out of my budget.

If I wanted to look at the Arm, it would be an Ecosse or an Aro - both of which are out of sight, price wise…

An alternative approach may be to see if “the dealer” has any “S” boards to change your MM input to MC.

This would open up a wider range of cartridges, I think.

Sorry, didn’t see your post re: S boards above.

You may be surprised what Naim dealers have in stock. I got lube boards fitted to my 52’s phono input last year so that I could use an external phono stage

Link Boards…?

Having had N, S, K - and V boards, in my history, I am aware of the… possibilities…!!

LINE (level) boards.

I think it must have been predictive text in my tablet, rather than a Freudian slip…

1 Like

I think they sold their turntable. I bought it used on eBay and it was barely used. It was a great deal and I haggled!

The other option is get your 10x4 retipped or part exchange it for the 10x5 if that’s possible.

The 10x5 has already lasted longer than the Goldring 1042 styluses. I got through 3 in 3 years. I had the cartridge so just kept replacing the stylus.

Just hope it lasts another year or so. I play records alot, maybe 15 hours a week so on average so I find they last just over a year.

Is possible… :smirk:

What about Nagaoka MP500 MM or
Audio Technica VM760SLC MM

I have heard good things about both of these. I have considered them before the 10X5.

1 Like

@IanRobertM I’m in a similar predicament as you. I’ve the 10x5 that’s going to need changing later this year. Do I go with the mark 11 or spend a couple of hundred more for the 20x2. I’ve been more then happy with the 10x5 so will probably stick to one of the DV range. I’m using E boards in my 72 and they have been a big step up from the N boards I was using before.

1 Like

@SteveC - My Budgie says - stick with a 10X something - and get a LingoGeddon - to finally hit the 90’s on my LP12… Different to N boards I could do, subject to finding them…

Actually getting a LingoGeddon is the first thing - the rest will flow from there…

PS. Please can all Naim Forum stay off eBay, so I have a better chance… :smirk:

:smiley: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m considering either of those as a future upgrade.

If you want to spend a bit less, look at the Ortofon 2m bronze or Nagaoka jt-80bk. Both excellent.

Stereo magazine (German) ranks the jt-80bk as one of the best value for money carts around overall and the best MM.

1 Like

When my DV20xl reached the end of it’s usable life a few years ago I was shocked by the cost of the direct replacement, so asked my dealer for a lower cost alternative. The Rega Ania at £500 was his recommendation. I’m still very happy with it and to my ears it out performs the 20xl let alone the 10x.
Rega have since released the Ania Pro that I see good comments about and would also come within your budget,

Paul.

I have been considering the new Nag jt80bk but elliptical cut with such price seem a bit high compared…

That’s what I thought as well initially, but I have the JT-1210 (same specs as JT-80BK, but supposedly tuned for the SL-1210GAE), and I wouldn’t say the 2M Bronze with nude fine line betters it.