New CD player

Thinking of picking up a second hand CD player. Any recommendations? It will be going into a 272 . I mostly stream/vinyl, but fancy a bit of nostalgia without spending a fortune!

1 Like

Project has a good CD transport for moderate price so you could use the DAC of your streamer.

Alternatively you could buy a used core to ripp your CDs.

3 Likes

Going to say the same, I think Cambridge Audio and Audiolab both compete at around the same price point and further up the audio chain Cyrus make a couple.

Given the quality of DAC in the 272 I would prefer a transport over a second hand or budget player

5 Likes

Anyone know which DAC is used in the 272? I can’t see it listed on the Naim site.

It’s a PCM1792A.

budget?

Second hand CD players go from $100 to $50k.

If I was you, I’d buy a cd transport to connect into the 272…

David

1 Like

Nothing beats a Philips cd-100 for nostalgia!

1 Like

Thanks. Same as the NDX2. Although I guess we shouldn’t infer too much from that as the implementation is likely different.

Though harder to find, models that have digital outputs are a better investment, because you can use them with an external DAC.

1 Like

he said won’t be spending a fortune

Thanks all - sounds like a decent transport is the way to go!

1 Like

Audiolab 6000cdt transport has received good reviews, and at around £380 (the price of a Naim brochure!!) well worth a punt. It will sell for little loss on ebay if you dont like it.

2 Likes

I am very satisfied with my 6000CDT (into Nova).

1 Like

Rega Apollo cd players are fantastic for the money. I bought mine used for £150!

Look for a nice used Esoteric.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.