New Dune Trailer ... Just wow

So excited for this this film Denis Villeneuve has not made a bad film to date and this looks just epic. People who got the recent preview seam stoked for it, saying sets, costumes and cinematography are stunning .

17 Likes

It’s cool that he had an extra year to prepare. He was quite worried in an interview around this time last year that he wasn’t able to finish it properly, due to not being able to be in the editing room physically because of Covid (travelling between Los Angeles and Canada was not possible at the time).

It was a very nice hour long interview by the way, he talks about his love for sci-fi and his sources for inspiration. It’s available here:

Very excited to see Dune on the big screen!

4 Likes

Certainly looking forward to seeing it .

On the big screen as and when

2 Likes

Great to hear a director giving credit to the VFX team, we often get ignored especially from some directors who deny we do anything for them , looking at you Mr Nolan. As an editor I get his anxieties to, it’s such a two way process and you need to get that person to person response to make it work. I have a lot of respect for him as a director and proud to have worked on two of his projects.

5 Likes

I shall watch it, for sure. It can’t be any worse than the last film. It is a hard story to set to film, though, I imagine. An amazing book (unlike its sequels)

4 Likes

It does look very good. Agree, not a bad film in his filmography, and if the movie is as good as the trailer promises it should be very special indeed. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Seems very promising indeed. I however preferred the original Blade Runner, vs the Villeneuve one.
But the original Dune was a crap. So that one will be easy much better.
The actress plays in Euphoria serial I think.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how he has interpreted the book.

That wasn’t a remake. ( it’s a sequel)
And historically it’s difficult to surpasse an original. ( exception maybe Godfather II)

Dune promises. Let’s see if delivers.

My personal fav is Arrival.

3 Likes

Empire Strikes Back and Aliens are 2 others I can think of.

4 Likes

Can’t agree about Aliens, but yes for Empire.

5 Likes

I’m also looking forward to this movie. The trailer and cast look spectacular… Oh how I miss being in a theater watching a good film. I’m not a big fan of what’s happening here in the states with releasing films to streaming services the same day as in the theaters. Going to be interesting in the next few years to see how this model shakes out.

2 Likes

Terminator 2 perhaps?

3 Likes

I prefer the minimalistic approach of a good original story, over a visual mesmerizing experience:
Both James Cameron movies referred are visually appealing but the story isn’t as impactful as the respective first ones

4 Likes

Big difference with this film is that the content of the book is just so huge, I’m a big Star Wars fan, butttttt, for anyone who has read Dune, well, Star Wars was lifted from a mere veneer of the story.

Always been hopeful of someone and a studio who might have the patience to at least attempt to do justice to the genius of Herbert.

The trailers look to have captured it, here’s hoping!

1 Like

I can’t get excited about this film, if the trailer’s anything to go by. More zzz than wow! Same tired old CGi, bombastic “music” and sententious dialogue. Not my cuppa at all, and I like Villeneuve’s films - Sicario, Arrival and BR2049 especially - a great deal.

I’ll get me coat…

2 Likes

Agree that it looks pretty good. And honestly, I’d actually settle for “pretty good”. Hard one to adapt for film for sure.

1 Like

The lead looks like an 8 year old boy.
Villeneuve made Blade Runner 2049 which was awful.
I don’t have high hopes for this movie.

2049 is awesome. I’m not perturbed in the slightest by your reservations.

1 Like

Rewatch the original Blade Runner. Now, THAT is a movie.

3 Likes