New Dune Trailer ... Just wow

As is From Russia With Love

2 Likes

If I recall, the lead figure is very young , the other film :-1: and TV series :+1: made him older.

Maybe this is a faithful translation.

1 Like

Both are fantastic, and by James Cameron.

For me both Alien 1 and 2 are wonderful. Apples and oranges.

3 Likes

It’s got Dave Bautista in it. That doesn’t bode well. He ruined that bond film.

1 Like

But the music can’t be any worse than that dreadful soundtrack by Toto for the original?

2 Likes

I rather enjoyed the somewhat baroque feel to the original Dune. It helped to have some to the film with an understanding of the Dune Universe. And yes, the film was a bit of a mess, took some liberties, along the way, and some of the effects weren’t so great. But there were some great characters and scenes, and I reckon there’s potentially a much better film should someone eventually have access to all the footage and have the time, wherewithal and permission to edit it. I think the US got a longer version (not the sliced and diced TV version) on DVD that restored a number of key scenes. I haven’t seen it though.

3 Likes

Fully agree - change soundtrack and Sting plus a bit of editing and there is a great film in there

1 Like

I love the the original trilogy, superb world(s) building. This trailer fills me with reservations, NOT for the visuals, which look superb, but the dialogue, ‘Great men are called to lead’, WHAT? Really? in a feudal world this modern sentiment would have no place.

One of the things that was a weakness in Jackson’s LOTR was their decision to give Aragorn an arc, so he was full of self doubt, he didn’t want to take up the mantle of his forefathers. This was NO part of the books - he needed the strength of self belief …as does Paul Atreides.

Gender and role bending causes me some concern but I can roll with it IF it is done well. Changing the philosophical backbone of a.n.other society doesn’t bode well to me. Remember, this story is moving towards a Jihad where billions will be slaughtered, there is nothing cozy or comfortable here.

1 Like

:grimacing: :sweat_smile:

me too.

Baroque meets steampunk, it was certainly a valiant effort!

It’s a shame that Jodorowsky’s Dune was never finished, that was a very interesting approach to the Dune universe as well. There is a fascinating documentary about the project:

4 Likes

Before 2049 was released in theatres, there were a few short teasers posted online to explain the storyline. Interestingly enough, these teasers to me felt a bit more in line with the original Blade Runner, they were personal and haunting, and they showed the dichotomy between ‘being human’ and ‘being humane’ in a post apocalyptic world. They got me very excited about the movie, here is one:

Unfortunately the film itself felt a little less personal to me, it looked gorgeous but felt more abstract and distant, so i found it difficult to care about the characters. I don’t know if this a result of the screenplay or perhaps the editing, but it felt as if there was more available in the material that could have made it a bit more visceral than how it turned out.

Absolutely Kev. For all the fighting in the book, this is not actually a story about fighting… if you see what I mean !

The trailer makes it look like every other shoot-em-up, special effects based sci-fi film.

1 Like

sH*t. Impressive. Most impressive.
must see it. thanks for sharing

i would add: too long for what it is…so i would say, editing.
editing was the problem.

So looking forward to seeing this. This is when I enjoy the merits of running the front left and right sound through the Naim system, and I thank Naim for having the AV channel on the pre-amps. :smiley:

1 Like

That (1984) Dune, was starring MacLachlan (unbelievably bad, have to see it to believe it!). It’s uninteresting, boring, incomprehensible, ugly, cluttered with grotesque gibberish, the main actors have slapped heads and have nothing credible, it’s badly played, the acting direction seems non-existent.
Translated by google from my french.

I love David Lynch movies, all but not that one.

My name is Neil and I love the 1984 Dune film. It is epic and brilliant… It is as weird as hell and all the more glorious for it. The outstanding thing is that there is now room for a really good, full on modern version of the book. I love the 1984 Dune and watch it regularly. :stuck_out_tongue::joy:

7 Likes

Otherwise, OK?

1 Like

I can’t wait, loved the books and, unlike many, really enjoyed the original film.