New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

Thanks. I must admit I didn’t read all 700 messages but did see many mentions of random reboots.

The advice seemed to be “reset to factory defaults”. Well my ND555 was manufactured in April, after the release of 3.6.0. When I mentioned that the firmware was up to date that was because it shipped like this, not because I updated it. So looks like I have the ultimate “factory defaults” as that’s how it shipped :grinning:

My ND555 has rebooted twice since I’ve had it but on both occasions this has been a few minutes after pressing play when a track has been on pause for a while. It’s as if the buffer runs out and triggers the restart.

G

For me it was the first track played. Previously (i.e. the day before) it had been using the optical input from my TV. It got about 30s through the first track.

1 Like

Hi Dusty,

Thank you ! :smiley:

The last couple of months were hectic. Loads of work, moving projects, and I’ve been training for the summer season. I have a couple of nice projects in the Mont Blanc massif (last weekend I gave “Digital Crack” another try). So I hadn’t much time left :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

After doing the full shutdown of my NDX2 overnight, 20 days ago, I got a random reboot today. I don’t mind the occasional reboot, but I would prefer it to not happen.

@BertBird same here. Getting more regular now also.

I don’t think I have ever had a random reboot of my ND555. Is it quite obvious occurring during playback?

Obvious if you happen to be playing music. It usually starts to stutter for half a minute or so, then the music stops, and then it reboots and sits at the home screen.

Just had a screen freeze and playback of a ripped song ending midway through it. Used app to select another song and play it, which it did fine but just as the next song started to play Star rebooted. Now seems to be fine and playing songs normally.

Well that was different, switched the ND on this morning with the remote button should have played BBC R2 instead got a loud machine gun type noise.

After about 15 seconds switched of the ND with the remote button and switched on again, same noise and a couple of seconds later the ND rebooted.

ND has played ok for rest of the day thank goodness.

Very weird and by coincidence I have experienced something similar.

Yesterday morning when turned on my Star, the screen was displaying the negative of the images, turned on and off with no change. Rebooted Star as I made coffee. When I turned it back on, all I got was loud static as if between stations on R6 and R4 which was odd. Then tried playing a ripped CD to check if it was the Star or an external problem, CD played fine, went back to R6 and it was all fine. So I put the noisy static sound down to a temporary ISP or BBC issue rather than a Naim issue, maybe I was wrong to assume so. Fortunately, there has been no repeated problem and it has been fine since.

As for the negative screen display, I had thought it was just one of those weird things that IT gear does now and again and unconnected to the static noise, I have had a laptop do the same in the past, but now I wonder if there was/is a connection.

Not sure exactly what you heard, but a sudden stuttering that could be described as machine gun is a typical behavior that precedes a reboot like in your case.

No It wasn’t stuttering I’ve had that before when the ND reboots, this was more like a stuck mp3, very different sound

I see, interesting that there are still new surprises :slight_smile: Glad that my NDX2 has been very stable with 3.6.0. I had 2 or 3 reboots since I got it in November, and none since the 3.6.0 update. (With Roon nearly exclusively)

Just because no one has mentioned it recently :grinning:, I thought I would throw in another unexpected reboot of the NDX2 - as has usually the case, it was when using Qobuz.

I have also been having problems with the Nova including clicking relays in standby, reboots and random temperature fluctuations in standby but I think that was something completely different possibly connected with using wireless and a BT Mesh system. Touch wood, plugging in an ethernet cable to one of the mesh discs seems to have solved it. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

+1, ND555 just cut out and restarted whilst listening the Beach Boys on Quboz.
It’s the first time I’ve noticed it, work and family restricting listening time 🥲.

Are we further up the road on a solution? I’ve not read every post on this thread?

The vast majority of these reboots have clearly been fixed, reports have become rare, but as noted before there was probably not the one single big issue that caused them all, and therefore not the one single big fix, so some instances might still occur. It would help Naim if you could tell which album in which version, and even better which track was playing

1 Like

I may of missed this, sorry. How were the majority of reboots been fixed? I am on Software version 3.6.0.5106.

Actually it was The Beach Boys album “ Feel Flows” I think it was track two “The Whole World”.

If I notice it again, I will report it to Naim. Like I’ve said I’m unsure if this is the first time it has happened. It’s certainly the first time I’ve noticed it.

Many thanks for the track details, I suppose @tomvamos will be interested.

No worries, not everyone has to be crazy enough to read 718 posts about it. But that’s what I and many others are here for :wink: The fixing seems to have involved pinning down instances as they popped up, trying to figure out the cause, and fixing it. If I recall correctly, some were caused by memory leaks triggered by things like incorrectly formatted metadata or by transitions between particular tracks. So if the memory leak was triggered and memory kept filling up, it finally overflowed and the unit rebooted. There may have been other causes.

With the release of 3.6 it seems that most instances disappeared, and your version should be fine (I forgot what the release version is, been running Beta versions so long, but you can check in app > Settings > Check for updates). However, there was the occasional one posted after that, and as your example also shows it’s still more whack-a-mole.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I’ll keep an eye on it, or should that be ear!!,