New firmware update

This sounds like a hardware failure to me. I would consider sending the unit in for repair. I agree with you that this does sound like a dangerous situation.

Any news on the actual firmware update, so we can close this thread forever?

1 Like

Yes I’d like to know too. Just had a random reboot on my NDX2, it’s the first in a while I think the last time it happened was three weeks ago.

We have been told by Naim it was “soon”. Having reported this a number of weeks ago, I was told the new improved firmware was " the end of the week".
I get these things need testing etc. But that is what informs the " when".
Feels like we will get it, when we get it.
If it is to be the end of the year, just tell us. Please.

I take it you want a version that works better? This takes time and should not be rushed. We now have more of a wider net of users in the beta programme and this is showing things that likely would have been missed before and picked up in production release which nobody wants. Nobody is sat around twiddling thumbs, they are working hard to sort out these issues as best they can with the resources they have. I suggest you sign up for the beta programme so you have more of an idea of the process involved and why it takes time

3 Likes

Last I heard there was an issue that cropped up late on in Beta testing so they’ve moved to a newer release to take that issue into account and it’s currently undergoing Beta testing.

Thanks. Usefully reply. Sounds like this is proving harder to fix than we thought.

Not suggesting they are not working hard, just fancied an update.
After all, it was Naim that told me it was about a week away.
Whats involved in the beta testing programme?

1 Like

Do you mean, how is it performed? Who’s involved? Or what does it need to get into it?

A bit of both I guess.

I’ve emailed the Naim beta email and asked to join.

1 Like

Ok - that’s the procedure to get into it.

Essentially it is about using (and by that implicitly, and to a point explicitly testing) the non-released beta version in a closed user group.

You test the software under your own conditions to see how it performs. Feedback on any issues, when the arise providing as much info as possible if it’s repeatable and supply logs to help them diagnose. The wider the group the longer it takes to collate it all but it does give a much bigger taster of the user community and how each uses the units and this can help show up issues that get missed. I think it’s grown massively since this firmware cockup which is good as I think before it was too small a group with limited use cases.

2 Likes

Any chance Naim can check the ‘share’ button on the app…oops sorry wrong thread.

I’ve just sent this message to Naim Support. Don’t know if anyone else has experienced the ‘late pause’ issue or whether or not it’s relevant, but just for the tape:

Hi,

As requested on the Naim Forum, I’m reporting issues with random reboots whilst music is playing. I’m on latest software. I’ve not had any problems previously, but last night I experienced 2 reboots in an hour. Both times it occurred after I had paused a track within a few seconds of it finishing, then later pressed play to continue and this command coincided with the reboot - possible cause?

I’ve also recently had issues with the same aspect of pausing late in a track, aiming to rewind using the slider on the running time bar and it hasn’t been able to follow the command and instead, jumped to another track on the album. I mention, just in case there’s some kind of causal link?
Thanks,
Kevin

1 Like

I would not be very surprised if rewinding very late in a track were problematic in systems that support gapless replay, but I have never tried it in my system.

If the software starts pre-loading the new track at the end of the current one (to provide a smooth transition), then strange things could happen, if a control function does not know/consider about such a “special state”.
So, it may be plausibel to see problems in this phase, which don’t appear otherwise.

(Without knowing the implementation here, but there might be buffered, counter, indexes and pointer involved, which might not point where other functions expect them to. Speculation here, but seen such behavior on other systems I could take a deeper look at.)

Aha! I just tried this on my NDX2. I paused a song with 2 seconds to go. When I hit play, it showed as playing, but just hung there. Hitting the pause button did nothing. I could not get it to play again. Had to hit the next song in the queue to resume. A bug!

At least it didn’t reboot :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@Richard.Dane any new information about the release date of firmware v3.6.0? How is Naim doing with the Beta?

Any chance Naim will implement a digital equalizer option to a future firmware update of the Unitis (and Streamers)? Just a little bit of digital adjustment in both directions. Lossless. I would really appreciate that.

1 Like

Nothing new to report - it’s still Beta at the moment and I can’t give updates on that here.

As for a digital EQ option, I think only Naim could comment on that.

Thanks Richard for your promt reply!

So please Naim, if you can hear me :pray:t3:, implement a digital EQ option into a future firmware update of the Unitis and Streamers. You would make a lot of users very happy here! :wink:

2 Likes