New firmware update

… I had my first experience with the NDX 2 go into a stuttering mode while streaming an album from Qobuz. Then the NDX 2 just decided to reboot itself. When it came back on line I played the rest of the album via my NAS since I have a copy ripped from a CD and it played without fail. No time to troubleshoot today with other commitments.

I thought I had dodged a bullet since I had updated several days ago and had not experienced any problems during that time. Strange times indeed and I do hope they get a fix for whatever is causing the problem and release an update for the NDX 2 that has been flawless for the past 18 months.

1 Like

I always turn off everything superfluous to me, including inputs, not sure if it brings any SQ gain.

2 Likes

That was always the advice for the 1st gen. Naim streamers, and it seemed to make sense. The idea that the opposite is the case for the current models therefore seems all the more counterintuitive, but the suggestion came from Naim themselves, including keeping Server mode enabled. I have no idea why this might be the case, but best to keep an open mind, I guess.

I am staggered that anybody accepts that turning stuff off to get an mproved sq is acceptable in products that are at this price level. A unit should operate at peak condition all the time with all features enabled. If it can’t, don’t include them in the first place.

3 Likes

If only life was that simple we could just forget all about the various forms of electrical interference and fill our houses with cheap SMPS without a care in the world. We can still do that now if we choose, and everything will still work. Squeezing the last ounce of performance out of a very revealing system is optional.

2 Likes

Its simple for me I don’t bother worrying about it. Life js too short to limit other things just for my hifi. I did an experiment a while ago and turned all unnecessary SPMS off, made zero difference to me. :slight_smile: Again make the equipment more resilient, this is modern life and homes adapt the product to deal with it, other products do.

5 Likes

I suppose if the never standby feature was obvious it would be seen as circumventing the EU energy directive.

Ironic the NDS555 was offered up as resilient, yet seems to respond well to router, cable, etc … tweaks.

2 Likes

Do I get you well that you mean that it sounds better with Bluetooth on ?
And also server on ?

I have them both off since the beginning…

Naim go to considerable lengths to mitigate this. The idea that you can just design any device to be 100% immune is unrealistic.

2 Likes

Same here with ND5 xs2. Mid track issues in Qobuz.

Have you tried a reset and logging out then back into your Qobuz account?

My NDX2 just starting locking up on a Tidal steam, then shut down and rebooted itself… never done that before :flushed::flushed:

Same here, NDX2 and Tidal. A bit worrying.

Off is what I tried to explain.

I’ve in all my post always suggested people try for themselves any option to tweak their system - and form their own assessment for themselves - especially when it is as free and easy to try as this.

I’m not being definitive here on what is best - it may be contextual to system and listener preference. People seek absolutes and other peoples Papal authority before daring to risk trying something more often than I like, but that is also a personal preference. :slightly_smiling_face:

I just try stuff and say what I hear and prefer - on stuff that cost me a lot in investment it seems to me reasonable that I try things and form my own view and perhaps share it when it may help is all.
I greatly appreciate others that do similar and like to get ideas that way - but I never take anyone else’s view as a dogma that must be obeyed and just presume it is the same toward anything I say too.

The opposite really - I’d be staggered if it did not make any difference at all in revealing systems.
I’m running Active Statement S1 - 3x500DR into S800 and it is pretty revealing of such things - but I think almost any Naim system even below Reference level will show these things, but perhaps the balance will mean preference may be different or not be as much.

At this level I expect excellent engineering from Naim - I think I have that. Do I expect them to bend the laws of physics if enough money is paid - no.
I do expect ‘options’ to be available to tune to what is best for me - they are there!
Permission to try them is not required. :bear:

DB.

4 Likes

Obviously Naim have been listening to your feedback and requests re. the latest Fw update and so there will be a small App update later today. Details can be read here:

10 Likes

This is really good advise. I have also noticed in the past that restarting the app might not fix things, as I had to power down the phone and power it back up again before I was able to connect to my Atom again. This was some time ago however and it is not related to the 3.5 firmware.

Hi @Richard.Dane
Any chance of a minor update of the streamer firmware?

I have spent the days since the firmware update trying to get used to the new sound my NDX2 is producing, and as much as I try I can’t. The SQ has changed for the worst and has become very fatiguing, there is a harshness and something awful is wrong with the mids and the bass is just a lightweight mess. As far as I am concerned Naim either need to roll back or release a new FW release quickly that addresses the SQ problems, as others have said we didn’t pay good money to have the SQ change, especially as in my case for the worse. Apart from that I haven’t had any other issues.

2 Likes