New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

If this is so this is great news and I must have misunderstood Jason when he was showing me the Solstice. However I do believe the mass of the arm as I held it, is a problem but obviously a variant without the ultra heavy mounting arrangement and a revised cable outlet could possibly fit the bill and be viable if the powers that be decide favorably. In the meantime I wait in eager anticipation to get my hands on one myself properly :+1:t2::+1:t2:

KR

Peter

2 Likes

Same here. It also saves the additional step of zeroing out the arm.

IIRC, some users on the Lejonklou forum claim it’s the optimal technique for SQ with the Ekos SE. I can’t comment on this either way, as my ears don’t seem to be well tuned to the finer nuances of tracking weight adjustment, so I just stick with my Riverstone gauge, follow the manufacturer’s recommendation, and make sure the gauge is accurately calibrated.

Peter, do you think that the geometry of the existing Aro Keel would be ‘close enough’ to accommodate the new Aro2 (even if it meant that the third mounting hole cold not be used with Linn cartridges)? I would expect the tolerance of the mounting hole to bearing centre distance on the Keel to be much tighter than the +/-1.5mm quoted on the Aro drawings, which would have been for the days of the separate arm board. But then if Naim Audio were to achieve the mass goal for the Linn, the arm length could be changed in the process so that it too was optimised for the Aro Keel.

Anything is possible if the powers that be in Salisbury put their minds to it and yes the Keel is 211mm. The tolerances worked to on the Keel and also the Kore/A are much tighter. However as it stands the single hole fixing for the Aro 2 is very different to the original Aro so the existing Keel/A is not compatible without quite a bit of work I’d suggest but… Nothing is impossible!

KR

Peter

3 Likes

Hey blacksheep, what scales do you use? Do they need to be a specific type or can I just buy a relative cheap one of the River?

I was wondering about this when I put my counter weight on my LP12 after having the Keel fitted as was not sure how far to push the weight on.

Hi AndyJ, just one of the cheapo Chinese ones. It seems consistant and I’ve had it compared to an expensive one and they read much the same.

1 Like

Will do, many thanks

It’s the carpets in these show rooms that crack me up, all that effort to try to make a design statement and, POW!

Utter disaster.

1 Like

That one rather reminds me of this

A Perfect Circle-Thirteenth Step.jpg

4 Likes

The Linn Ekos SE is a nightmare compared to the Rega RB1000 I had before on the P9.

Agreed. I resorted to the mug trick, but the Ekos SE still is a royal pain to balance compared to the Ittok

No real need to though. Set the dial to the number you want to see and use a stylus force gauge to move the counterweight until it matches. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s how arms should be reviewed!..how difficult are they to get a static balance on? I would say impossible with the RB3000 without some countermeasure, for the residual bias, that has no vertical vector (including friction).

No replies on this thread for 3 days….

It’s safe to say they really need to get this thing out there now!

8 Likes

Deliveries have been delayed by yet another week. I’m looking at end of September arrival for mine.

2 Likes

Wow - are you UK like me?

1 Like

Yes Matt.

4 Likes

I think the term “first world problems” is coming to mind… :sunglasses:

2 Likes