New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

That was the beauty of Butcher Block Acoustics - basically free. I just ordered two more.
See my above post again - I did some editing.

My headphone systems are not in my dedicated 2 channel room and are on top of the classic mid century George Nelson bench. I did not want a dedicated stereo rack so I had to experiment.

with Linn KDS/3 source. A few more electrostatic amplifiers will take up residence here as well

Best
Gregg

6 Likes

PS -sorry for the thread derailment

To link it back to turntables.

I have an HRS record weight but if used it robs some of the life out of the music. It’s also incompatible with an Aro as the headshell hits it at the end of the side.

What a beautiful rig and a beautiful room…

I’m thinking of getting a preloved Linn KDS/3 to go with the Stax system I’m looking at…

The Stax T8000 energiser looks lovely - and picks up good reviews - but what’s this beastie you have here??

(I’m happy for this to be moved to a headphone thread by the way!)

Would still be much better than the glass shelf. But yes, I agree that this platform would not fit well the Fraim.

Once again - sorry for the thread derailment - just replying to some questions

The amplifier in the photo is for dynamic headphones only (not electrostatic) and is a DNA Stratus amplifier made my Donald North in California. Donald builds 2 amps a month and his tube headphone amps are considered end game. I just commissioned his totl Stellaris amplifier - eta June 2022 - however well worth the wait.

As for Stax T8000 as previously mentioned - stay away. Stax amplifier design has been the same for the past 30 years and are not well regarded from a performance or VFM perspective.

If you are interested in TOTL electrostatic amplifiers look to the Mjolnir Carbon (solid state) from Iceland or the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii (tube/ss) from the States. Short of the mythical DIY T2 amplifier which is universally acknowledged to be endgame (my commissioned one should be complete within the next 2 months (6 month wait time) - both the Carbon and Headamp BHSE more or less cost the same as the T8000 while offering SIGNIFICANTLY better performance.

You may want to hold off on your Stax headphone purchase. Stax has posted a teaser (ala Naim) and on Wednesday will be presenting something new.

Now back to the Solstice (and sorry for the sidetrack)

Best
Gregg

6 Likes

If you are going to derail the thread Gregg then the least that you can do is post a pic of your fab Nait2 to keep the gallery calm… :grinning:

2 Likes

Let’s try to keep on topic please. By all means please do start a new topic if you wish to discuss other things. Thanks.

3 Likes

Doing that as we speak!

1 Like

Question…will the tonearm be available to buy separately…?

That is the question…

However, right now it is only available as a package.

1 Like

Not what was asked but the manufacturer – Clearaudio – do make some wonderful tonearms under their own branding. Not uni-pivot however and not with the ‘dna’ (as a biotech guy I don’t like using this term but I will anyway) of the Aro.

1 Like

How was your impression?

1 Like

Anybody knows what are the speakers that appear in @Bjorn picture above ? Post 2229

They look like Neat Ultimatum XLS.

2 Likes

Yes, the speakers are, as Richard said, Neat Ultimatum XLS and the system sounded absolutely wonderful together with Solstice! Among the best I have ever heard, and I heard some…

3 Likes

Thanks. From the picture, they look like large, big bookshelves. Is it that, because on other pics from the net, they seem smaller ?
They seem to be very interesting speakers to consider, in average rooms.

What Hifi verdict :

When partnered with care, the XLSes are entertainers of the highest order

FOR

• Wonderfully entertaining performer
  • terrific bass weight and power for cabinet size
  • superb timing and expressive dynamics

AGAINST

• Dedicated speaker stands are great but cost a hefty £950
  • demanding of amplification
2 Likes

Nice, in which price range are the speakers?

I think XLS ‘a come in at about £8k now?

1 Like

That is my thought too. :wink: