New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Unfortunately, there is no information available for Solstice dealers in the US using this search mechanism. But in any case, it is clear that only certain dealers were in the know.

1 Like

That’s only 3 in your link, there’s more if you go through the web site but none in France.

So Billy Vee, Soundstage and Infidelity seem to be the only London stockists Clare?

There’s a lot of turntables with pace, rythme and prat. Like Rega, Linn, Vertere, Spiral Groove, Grand Prix Audio Monaco.
Some are light and unsuspended, other heavy ( Spiral Groove), some with acrylic chassis ( Vertere), other light and suspended ( Linn), or direct drive ( technics , Grand Prix Audio Monaco).
These are all known for very good Prat. But they sound all very different.
Which one has a Naim sound ?

The answer is, of course, none. Because I would guess that what Analogmusic is calling “naim sound” is just a way to refer to a performance of a piece of Naim equipment that satisfies and has been signed off by Roy; i.e. performs as Naim designed and intended.

4 Likes

Remenber this from June last year @Richard.Dane?

1 Like

As soon as people order stock, they should be updated on the list…

Does this mean they’ll be happy side-by-side on a single Fraim level?

Yes - see this pic from What Hi-Fi’s hands-on piece

6 Likes

I hope my dealer in Versailles will demo one, during a week Naim roadshow. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Oh goody. The phono stage and power supply will fit on my half-width rack!

Imagine if not :flushed: :joy:

Still loving’ those half width boxes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s great!

SuperLine currently shares a “Brain Side” Fraim level with my Ansuz switch which in theory could go someplace else but in practice may as well sit on a Fraim level. SuperCapDR is on the “Brawn Side” of course.

Where are people thinking the 2 Solstice boxes should go? Maybe the phono stage should replace the SuperLine on the “Brain” side, and the PS replace the SuperCap on the “Brawn” side. In which case I won’t pick up an entire empty level after all.

Ever see “Mutiny on the Bounty??” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Clare,

I assume they will sit just fine on a lower shelf where one must worry about the center rear post? Are they able to be located interchangeably on either side, or does the post preclude this?

Thanks

OA

Good point – the big center rear post of Fraim does get in the way of some (non-Naim) hardware and cabling.

Not the case for me either my dealer has a few on order and will demo, CHESTER.

Well if you compare a vertere interconnect to superlumina they sound different

Upon close inspection superlumina speaker cables are built differently than vertere speaker cable and the cables diameters themselves are different and sound different. The connectors are very obviously different too. Vertere will not do silver plating. Vertere doesn’t manufacture the Naim Air plug.

Even the Din/XLR cables sound different and look different

I don’t know how Roy does it but there’s a consistency in his products that he engineers.

I suppose those are his trade secrets which are kept in house ?

2 Likes

Take the example of the Porsche Cayenne

I used to think this is a VW Touareg with a Porsche name

But after driving a recent 2021 panamera on a test drive… I realized the cayenne is very much a Porsche

Consistency! It’s the littlest of tweaks that manufactures know how to tune such different cars to be unmistakably Porsche when they are on the road in how they drive.

Hence the solstice when I hear will sound very familiar I expect, and should remind me of how an ND555 or Ndx2 or even the Ndac … plays music

1 Like