New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

But very bad on a circuit

Actually…rather better than you might possibly imagine, as I discovered around Silverstone. And very very fast indeed when you put your foot down.

If you could only have one car for everything then the Bentayga makes a compelling case for itself. Add in what is possibly the nicest interior around and certainly the finest audio system, and once you get inside you’ll only really want to get out to fill up with fuel. Only catch is the cost, both to buy and run…

2 Likes

My only experience is watching Top Gear :laughing:. Bentley are very fast, comfortable, but very heavy. A little entry level Cateram should be quicker on a circuit. My biased opinion.

1 Like

I just checked. Circuit is the french only word. I mean racetrack, with a lot of turning roads.

Very likely, as small light, good handling cars often run rings around heavyweight powerhouses on the circuit. However, considering it’s a high and heavy off-roader, the Bentayga drives remarkably well around a track and can be surprisingly quick (and entertaining!) if you’re brave enough to explore the limits.*

*Being driven 4-up in a Bentayga by one of the “Bentley Boys” at high speed around Silverstone while playing Cantate Domino at high volume was one of the more surreal experiences, but without doubt one that was memorable for all involved!

4 Likes

It’s just come down in price……thought someone on a waiting list would have snapped this up!

1 Like

Speed and comfort gets my vote… maybe its my age, but if I was able to my make my next trip to the Le Mans 24h (hopefully in the next couple of years) in a Bentley or a lightweight sportscar, then I’d know which one I’d choose… speed and comfort all the way. I’m happy to just watch others suffer the sportscar experience! In all likelihood it’ll be in my 8 year old 5 series.

I would not be sure of that generalisation, nor whether it is a cause → effect or simply an association.

And it is rather ugly.

And nothing to do with Solstice. :roll_eyes:

I was going on about upgrading my Linn Lvx basik arm sometime ago and have upgraded my Linn as suggested by someone on the forum. Is the ARO available as a standalone tone arm, in Aussie land

Look at the Solstice, it’s massive. If Naim could have made a light turntable with a Naim organic sound and a full bass, they would have made a Linn or Rega type of turntable.
For the best isolation from vibrations, the mass help too.
But maybe we should open another thread, to not deviate from the present thread.

It’s been covered earlier in this thread with comments about the benefits of the Clearudio bearing, which allegedly allow one to enjoy the best of both worlds…

I don’t know what is the benefit of Clearaudio bearing.
I understand that some, specially with childs, cats or snakes, need to have a cover.
But I find it better looking without.

No, it’s the patented ceramic magnetic bearing of the turntable itself, which is supposed to give the speed of a light platter even with a heavy one, while obviously also delivering the bass extension and scale of a heavyweight. Agree about the cover….

1 Like

Best to stay inside for as long as possible to help forget what it looks like on the outside… :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

296g/km of CO2 is an absolute outrage. There is no place for these things today. Why people fawn over something that should be banned is beyond me. Only someone with no thought whatsoever for our future would even consider one.

6 Likes

…these principles need to be considered in their entirety.

Not a totally invalid comment Nigel but:

• the number of these vehicles on the road is minuscule as to make minimal difference overall.
  • can you justify the production and transportation of vinyl records when perfectly viable alternatives are available?
  • should valve amplifiers still be available?
  • should private planes and helicopters still be allowed?

I could go on.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Briefly, what is needed is a carbon budget for each person to ‘spend’ as they see fit.

That said, the carbon spend on a vehicle with emissions at this level is on a different scale to the carbon spend on something like records.