New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I think you’re probably right, but then it is odd that it includes a slotted headshell.

Interested in hearing any info that you may have gathered at Naim HQ…

1 Like

Ok so R&D are investigating my theory that the bias magnet isn’t strong enough for my DV. If found to be correct a solution ( via a stronger magnet) will be found and I will be notified in a couple of weeks or so.

2 Likes

Regarding any changes to design to accommodate alternative cartridges we aren’t going to be lucky! R&D like my copper washer solution to the install issue that I had but there aren’t any plans to manufacture heavier counterweights etc.

1 Like

Does the existing heavy counterweight for the Aro fit on the Aro 2?

1 Like

Over to Chris and Varyat regarding that Richard. Of course you could always enquire next week when you visit :+1:

2 Likes

Outside any future special editions, I think Naim would have a difficult time getting more Equinox cartridges manufactured for a reasonable cost. Nobody is going to be interested in this cartridge save the 500 Solstice owners (tiny number). So, Naim’s refusal to manufacture proper counterweights for other cartridges is unfortunate.

Regarding flexibility, we are talking about a 12-14k USD turntable (additional to 20k covers the phono stage and cartridge). As has been said, this table has many competitors in that price range offering abundant flexibility. I guess that will sell in spite of the limited flexibility but may end up with some soured customers, some long term.

PS. I wonder if there will be price increases on units not yet sold.

3 Likes

Yes, both of my ARO1 weights fit on the ARO2.

Did they give you any hint of the future of Solstice beyond the 500SE?

1 Like

That it isn’t going to happen Chris. The 500 is it!

Thanks Chris.

1 Like

Interesting… so no more turntables or no more Solstice? Can you elaborate?

1 Like

IIRC Naim have sold all the Solstices. Of course, you may still be able to buy one new from a dealer.

When I started on the upgrade train with my LP12 in 2005, I thought the same then and upgraded with Lingo2, Linto, Ekos2, Akiva as Linn designed this as their top package at the time. I avoided the likes of ARO, Armageddon and all the fancy DV cartridges and think maybe I have been missing out on something. Then again the choice was made and the end result was very good at the time.

1 Like

Both Chris

1 Like

If Naim have sold them all, and once all the dealer stock is gone, I wonder if they’ll mark it discontinued on the website?

Their shortest lived product?

As long as it is still supported. That would be my only concern

Wonder what will happen to second hand values in the short and long term

It was Roy George’s last project. The deck and arm are superb components. I expressed my feelings regarding the marketing decision to only make 500 and not break it down. But Jas, Steve and the guys in the UK don’t make those decisions so we are stumped!

2 Likes