New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Have you considered using a heavier headshell weight to bring the DV closer to the Equinox weight? Could possibly overcome the counterbalance, cartridge pins and bias obstacles in one very simple operation.

With regards to the bias though, I found there was an imperceptible difference from having the bolt/magnet wound fully in or totally removed. So much so that I went to a dealer with it to see if mine was ‘faulty’……it wasn’t. And (yes, I know) that was with the Equinox.

1 Like

Good points SH.
Incredible as it may seem with DV1t the weight of the three copper washers was sufficient to allow the counterweight to screw outward and fully engage the spring bearing. The consensus in R&D is that the decoupling effect can only be positive. I’ve left three washers with them at Jas Gould’s request. Bias wise and the lack of bias magnetic strength I’m very optimistic that it will be corrected shortly with hopefully an alternative on offer one way or another.

I’ve got a 3g one due any day now (after seeing yours and others solution) and I may even fettle it to get the weight of it plus my DV to match the Equinox.

I’m rather naive when it comes to cartridge weight impact v tonearm length v counterbalance location etc etc and whilst the plan is to do this……it may just be a plug and play.

I have to admit that the sheer weight of the Solstice has been it’s salvation from being thrown out a window re: cartridge swap.

Having had the cartridge installed by those more

1 Like

knowledgeable than myself, the white connector came loose requiring me to drop the cartridge to reattach and then spend far too much of my time trying to re-align.

Having come from a Rega Planar 6 this was all a new “delight” when all I wanted to do was play a record.

But hey ho…I keep stalking these pages to see how others approach the obstacles and steel with pride.

1 Like

To install your XV1s check my photo with the copper washers fitted. I can’t take all the credit for the idea as Richard Dane in an historic post discussed how Naim overcame static issues with a certain cartridge by fitting a thin copper plate between ARO 1 headshell and cartridge.

Anyone got a tape measure?

490mm upwards. 480mm might work but the cable may be tensioned against the wall at the bend.

Perfect, thanks. Need to get my tape measure out.

Also has anyone tried an isolation platform with it? I have an isoaccoustics delos

Finally, so after more than a year will be able to receive the LP. Hopefully before Christmas.

I certainly hope so, for everybody’s sake.

Ouch. My shelf is 430mm. Look like it might need to go on the Delos platform on top of the quadraspire.

Anyone see a problem using an isolation platform? I have horrible suspended floors and cannot put a tt direct on the rack

The Delos platform should work just fine- this is basically a mass loaded TT design.
Now if the wall shelf can support all of the weight is really the only issue …

I use my Clearaudio Ovation on a Delos Platform, sitting on top of my Naim Fraim (top shelf is a Fraimlite). In the past I have had the Delos/Ovation on a Solidsteel WS-5 wall shelf. It’s a lot of weight 40+ lbs but held up fine for years.

Sometime in the next year the system will move into out living room when the Ovation/Delos will once again sit on the Solidsteel wall shelf.

1 Like

Looks like the solstice with brandy is going to be too deep to go on the wall shelf, so the Delos will be on the rack

Good to know, thanks

I had a chance to listen to the Solstice via a Nac252/Nap250 YG Carmel 2 system at a dealer a few months ago. What struck me most was the wonderfull sense of flow. It reminded me of when I switched from Ekos/Lingo to ARO/Armageddon on my Sondek in the late 90’s. Perhaps not as firm a bass or distinct a trebble, but a much more natural and organic presentation.

There wasn’t any opportunity for A/B comparisons but I was impressed nonetheless. I feel sure owners will be happy.

Hans

3 Likes

I also used the Solidsteel MDF board with three HRS isolation pucks, not that I need an extra layer of isolation, but it works out better for the dustcover I had made. It goes over the TT and Delos. The Fraimlite top isn’t large enough for that to sit on.

6 Likes

That is a pretty turntable JosquinDesPrez

2 Likes

Well, god help me I have just bought one!

13 Likes

Let us know how you get on - and what you had before. I’ve never bneen so tempted to let vinyl get into my life again, endless faff though it may be…