New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Yes, that was the price, presumably higher due to the customization.

Which customization exactly?

See this post by @varyat:

1 Like

Bloody h*ll - customising a £16,000 turntable with a replacement cable costing (near enough) £3,000. Some people have money to burn!

4 Likes

No Graham just funds available to spend on something we deem worthy :smiling_face: We can’t take it with us!

5 Likes

Perhaps Naim should have made the Solstice more easily customisable…….people love their hifi hobby and tweaking.

How much is the ND555? And many add an additional 555 PS to get that little bit extra, no? We all choose our sources …

7 Likes

Isn’t that called an LP12…

:thinking:

2 Likes

Yes……but thats what Solstice was up against, and with no certainty more would ever be made, it did not fly off the shelves. Seems a shame after all that effort by Roy and others.

What? The money or the cable? I just had a really bizarre flashback of the final listening room maxed out with chord music interconnects 6 feet under and the streamer configured in repeat mode to play my favourite track for eternity

You really should get a grip on your inadequacies. Don’t you realise how transparent they are?

I really do like what chord does except for the unmentionable products. Something happened during a week long demo that I did not like, so it went back. Music is in silly money territory as far as I’m concerned and have no intention of going down that road

I take the positive in that Roy and others imbued the Solstice with great ‘bones’ (casework/plinth/arm and other facets), which has enabled the hot-rodders to stretch its performance even further, obviously at a cost.

The question which arises now is that if you add up the total cost of a pimped Solstice (which is far from a Franken-Linn LP12 in terms of mods!), how does it compare with other TTs in that cost arena? …it looks like we’re taking £25K+++here?

Can you tell us what it was that happened that put you off ?

The magic of Solstice is the layered plinth, magnetic suspended platter and carbon fiber ARO2 arm. This does not negate the rest of the package. I think the Equinox cartridge is pretty good along with the NVCTT preamp. Turntables are, however, highly tweakable devices and owners will always seek to find improvement (no matter the cost). Naim has already come out with a power supply upgrade, the NPX-300.

There’s lots of room to grow with this turntable. I think as more people hear what it does it will become highly sought after.

4 Likes

True Chris

But unfortunately the current high quality Superline phono is not compatible with the new NPX300 PS

Will they revamp the superline somehow down the line - sadly I’m thinking no :weary:

1 Like

Assuming the Superline is at end-of-life, I’m not surprised the new NPX power supply is not compatible. A new direction is being forged.

It’s hard to know if Naim will do another reference phono preamp… perhaps they consider the NVC-331 (NVC-TT) good enough? If there is to be another “superline” I would not expect to see it until they replace the 500 series electronics in the future.

1 Like

Yep I think a replacement for superline is many years away , if ever

However given the resurgence in vinyl , who knows !!

Not really, but some things which did not happen with the stock cables.

One can only dream of a Superline+

2 Likes