New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

That Soundstage review also describes the “plastic” as, “It is covered with the same dense acrylic used in the Statement amp.”

1 Like

Yes that’s what I was told too and certainly from what I saw, the engineers left no stone unturned. Basically, the fingerprints of Roy George and Steve Sells are all over the Solstice. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Even the new Aro has a decoupled plug!

10 Likes

And long may it be so……it’s part of the Naim magic.

There is plenty of that for sure

Yes true, this Aro arm really is magic. It’s very serious indeed!

7 Likes

And Rega would never notice? Seems unlikely

Fingerprints are probably my only qualm!

1 Like

I’m sure you’ll have your dabs all over one soon!
In the meantime I’m signing off now for this evening and I hope everyone liked the pics :slight_smile: - Who would not want one of these?

15 Likes

Somehow I missed the Soundstage review. Here it is for anyone else who missed it:

3 Likes

Even Liberace would think that was excessive!

4 Likes

Did you try them or consider them, Richard?

I have them in the box, but haven’t got around to trying them out.

@Cymbiosis – Peter, out of curiosity, would that arm fit on an LP12 do you think?

I tried . It added a little bit some focus. But very minor. The problem is that the base for the feet is very fragile. If you put again the stock feet, they can not fit very well after.
So better not change them, my experience.

1 Like

Does the description of the “suspension” make anyone else think of the original sagging Roksan Xerxes?

If you were drunk when putting a record on, you probably be trying to put it in the wrong place…
Was this the winner of an Ugly Turntable competition?

2 Likes

Sir! Sir! Please Sir! I wouldn’t.

1 Like

Amen. Not sure why there’s so much discourse here about the visuals. I want to hear it, not look at it. Function over form surely? If I could listen to my system and never see it, I’d prefer that. It’s a pile of black boxes and the turntable is a wooden box with a polished metal circle on it. Not an icon for me. I must admit that I wanted to draw the line at the incongruous red Collaro mat, but I bought one all the same in the cause of the never ending quest for better sound and would have kept it and lived with it if it had actually sounded better than the standard issue (not to my ears).
I’m not likely to be in the market for the Solstice because I’m too far gone on the LP12 Merry-go-round, but if it cut the mustard musically, looks really wouldn’t be a factor in my decision making.

3 Likes

Somehow I don’t think the Solstice would go well at all in this setting :-1:

However a LP12 wooden plinth may just do :+1:

3 Likes

There are ‘things that work’ and ‘things that look nice.’ Some people only want one of these. Many people want something inbetween - closer to the ‘things that work,’ is good, but I couldn’t have something that I don’t find aesthetically pleasing staring at me every day. I could and do live with a few black boxes, chrome bumper looks better, olive looks worse. Works perfectly and pleasant to look at is a tough proposition, not least because people have different ideas of pretty. Chord, McIntosh and Burmester are good examples. Couldn’t live with the quirky Chord, lumps and bumps and towers, the ostentatious McIntosh, with the blue, green and power meters doesn’t do it for me, but I love the industrial look of Burmester. I’m in the queue for the, ‘don’t want a Solstice,’ simply because If I were to spend 16k on a turntable, I would buy one I liked the sound of, as well as the looks.

1 Like