New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

Out of curiosity, wouldn’t the new ARO fit on an LP 12 using a Kore sub-chassis for Rega arms rather than a Keel? Performance would be compromised so not a good idea and better to wait for a Keel for Rega. Or is there another reason why the new ARO will not work with an LP 12?

Ian

That’s where mine came from. Maybe we’ll see you at some of our concerts.

I have not heard the package yet but would be interested in hearing it with a Superline/SupercapDR and a Linn Kandid cartridge if this were feasible. As, I highly rate my Superline and Kandid which is the best cartridge that I have ever owned.

Richard

1 Like

I wonder how you formed this view @RedChris - not questioning the view, as I think I’ve come to similar conclusions in the past when listening to unfamiliar systems, being able to “tell” which component I felt was throttling things - but wondering how you separated what the Phono stage was doing from what (say) the Cartridge was doing… It’s the challenge with integrated systems!

4 Likes

The current version of the Aro 2 for the Solstice with it’s thick, high mass mounting plate is just too heavy in my estimation. Additionally the floaty plug is to long as it would foul on the baseboard of an LP12 in it’s current form. But it’s not beyond the wit of man (Roy G or Steve S) to produce a lighter/thinner mounting plate and a right angled plug solution that could fit an LP12. The overall height of the Aro 2 also needs to be considered with an LP12 (or other TT) in mind as it is a tall arm!
It could then be fitted to a Rega version of the Kore.
Will this happen? Well it’s up to you guys (and me + most Linn/Naim retailers) lobbying for it! If it does, then it would be fantastic and I have several provisional orders already if it were to happen… But we cannot jump the gun. It’s up to HQ. Could they manage the substantial demand that would be created? Do they really want to make a version compatible with the LP12 and other turntables?
All I know is, I was able to persuade Glasgow to make the Keel/A with the numbers I projected and even though discontinued now, the Keel/A is still available providing the number ordered in one go justifies it.
Personally if the Aro 2 was produced, lots of Rega mounting type arm owners could benefit too. Some AO owners plus Rega, Roksan, Vertere owners to name a few, so I think there would be a high probability of persuading Glasgow… But that is all for the future maybe!

KR

Peter

See what I mean…

5 Likes

Why would an oligarch buy something made from (what looks like) cheap tins?

2 Likes

I think Rega uses Stevenson for alignment, right? Do you have any information as to to why that choice was made by Naim? As I think it’s otherwise mostly the Japanese tables using that, and most other European makes, including Clearaudio, use Baerwald.

I actually don’t know what Linn uses, or has this changed depending on the arm. For example switching from Jelco (Stevenson) to Clearaudio (Baerwald)?

Ha!!!
“Say hello to my little, uh, big, chrome friend”

S-

1 Like

Because they’re the infamous Brewdog “gold” tins!

1 Like

6 Likes

Because it weighs 850 lbs and costs 120 k. Al Pacino could have had one in his movie.

1 Like

You should ask Naim directly about this. They are the best ones to comment… They may also be able to give you an insight into the visual appeal of the Solstice if you ask nicely.

1 Like

My dealer couldn’t order anymore the Solstice. No one left. I searched for something equivalent and finally ordered the Kronos discovery.
It costed me just 10 times more. But life is short.
If you are interested by my purchase, google Kronos discovery. So elegant and disappearing.

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Blingtastically vulgarmungous!

2 Likes

Hi Richard - that would make a lot of sense, in my view.

I have given my impressions and to some extent these are just feelings, as we only compared the two turntable systems as a whole.

The Solstice is great as a Special Edition package, but it feels like there is room to improve.

1 Like

Are those thermal detonators at the bottom with a time clock like the nuclear bomb in Goldfinger?

That Kronos must be the most oilriggy oilrig TT I’ve ever seen @frenchrooster

5 Likes

Solstice - I heard it. So I wrote a review.
Warning: this is long, skip to para 4 if you don’t want to wade through the verbiage.

As I was ushered into @PeterSwain ‘s @Cymbiosis listening room with @RedChris it struck us that we might just be the very first ‘civilians’ in the world (minus employees, reviewers and dealers) to hear the new Solstice. It matters not, but a fun thought for those of us deep down the audiophile rabbit hole.

A small group of enthusiasts had gathered (safely) to pay homage to a major moment in audiophile history, The first ever Naim turntable. Alongside the new potential legend stood a living one, Naim’s mighty brand ambassador, Jason Gould. I felt honoured and marginally nervous to hear whether my ears* were up to it (read the health warning at the end).

To be honest, from the launch pictures I thought it looked a bit of a munter. Standing right next to it, I was transfixed. It had a striking utilitarian beauty. Both Chris and I immediately remarked on how amazing it looked, especially the quality of the component details. The clear front, that huge platter, just looked… right. I know, I know. It somehow did not look as absurd as it does in some of the official photos. And ‘That Arm’. Oh my. It just shouted quality, delicate balance and made us instantly both feel like kids in a sweet shop. And the understated weave of the carbon fibre, barely noticeable without close inspection. More Bentley than blinged-up Mercedes. My first observation is that Naim should employ @anthonydavis – his photos from that same day posted on this forum provide far greater evidence of the quality and engineering beauty of the Solstice.

So, let’s cut to the chase. We A/B tested it with a factory standard LP12 Klimax. No third-party bits, no special fettering. In a nutshell? It’s not better, it’s not worse. It’s different. My ears preferred the LP12 instantly, but as we listened over 4 hours, I became much more equivocal. Chris got there much quicker than I. His comments elsewhere are worth seeking out.

On first listening (through Peter’s reference active Kudos 808s) my ears heard immediate warmth and impact but a slight lack of soundstage, crystal-clear dynamic treble, and a bit of fogginess in the lower midrange / higher bass registers. In comparison to the LP12, it felt slightly veiled. But obviously and compellingly dynamic.

As I listened, and the unconscious bias of my ears and preferences receded (LP12/PU7ti/XX2/Radikal/Urika) I began to hear its strengths. The LP12 did not sound ‘clinical’, just a bit dryer. And more revealing, with greater clarity across the audible range of frequencies. But the Solstice’s strengthens began to become apparent. Yup, here comes the cliché. It had pace, rhythm, and timing (PRaT). It was every bit a Naim as my various Olive and Black boxes have been since 1994 – from 72/140 to 52/300DR. It also had a sweet richness in the mid-range, ran silent, had plenty of punch in the bass, a good soundstage and a fluidity to the notes and music that Aro owners know well (and always mention!). An artistic and magical application of science really, that the Naim engineering genius and the various teams behind the Solstice could transpose that quality of sound from amplification into a turntable. An audible ‘brand essence’. And it was highly enjoyable. Better actually, it was enchanting. And, with all the self-awareness I can muster at the absurdity and possible distastefulness of the next statement, it seemed ‘good value’ for 16K. I don’t think I’ll say that again, it doesn’t feel right.

Is it a new dawn? With vinyl sales rising to a new two-decade high, we know the answer. Does this turntable add something unique to this vinyl revival? Unequivocally, yes. Will I swap my LP12 for one? No. My ears want some of the qualities the LP12 has over the Solstice. But if I was watching from Glasgow, I’d be looking to provide its aficionados with an amazing 50th birthday present next year. Game on. This is the type of arms race I could get behind. And Chris and I got to fantasizing. Could you have your Linn and Naim it? Just imagine an LP12, with a Stiletto and That Arm. Put me on the (imaginary) waitlist for that Peter.

• A note on the ears and brain combo. I listen with mine. You can’t have mine, so it’s best if you listen with yours. We all hear slightly differently and have our own aesthetics. IMHO it’s the most undermentioned influence in reviews (alongside room dynamics?). I’ve spent much of my life working with musicians in live settings and lean-in to a clear, forward, dynamic sound without too much ‘colour’ and ‘sweet warmth’. Think ATC with a rich midrange (40s up). Some might call that clinical, I don’t hear that. Other preferences are available. But I think it’s worth noting, given what I say above.

45 Likes

Matt, mostly just reaction to listening, and having heard the Superline/Supercap DR (with mostly LP12s) and a feeling the the end of the process was delivering a bit less.

I could be entirely wrong - if and when I get the chance to listen to the individual components I will learn more.

2 Likes