New from Naim – Solstice Special Edition turntable

I think it’s impossible to find more vulgamungous. Incredible.

2 Likes

When will they stop? The Sparta, why not. But that is awful.

Nice honest review, thankyou👍

5 Likes

Thanks. I’m no reviewer frankly. Just had a great day listening, felt very lucky to actually hear it and thought I’d share.

4 Likes

Great stuff @MarcJaffrey - I’m feeling increasingly confident based on the views of people who know their stuff that I’ve made the right decision, based on what people such of yourself have said about the aspects of the sound that matter to me.

And I do believe that it’s going to look stunning in the flesh.

5 Likes

You and @RedChris have posed and part-answered many of the questions existing high-spec LP12 owners (with Superline in my case) have around the Solstice - thank you. E.g.

how does it compare, noting the packaging aspect (inc the phono-amp) and could it be improved via the Superline, perhaps a better cartridge.

4 Likes

Thanks to MarcJaffrey and RedChris for sharing your thoughts and taking the time to share. I’m so looking forward to hearing Solstice in my system.

2 Likes

Well that was a good review, thankyou.

1 Like

Congratulations on pulling the trigger. I can’t imagine you’ll be disappointed. I also imagine that the batch of 500 will be a very good financial investment. Frankly, if money was no object, I’d have one and an LP12. Though I’d loose the wife if I did that! Really look forward to you posting after a decent amount of listening time at home.

yeah - I think the consensus on first hearing for the gang that was there was that it had huge potential via some obvious upgrades (and some less obvious ones no doubt in the future). Cartridge and phono being the two immediate ones. My guess (none of this was discussed) is also that the French bean-counters will be surprised it has sold so well and will suddenly see the potential, after a period of general release, to sell the parts. Many of us will eye that arm. And hope…

2 Likes

congratulations!

1 Like

I don’t think that referencing the Statement amps et al in the original newsflow positioned this product very well (perhaps over-sold it) and, as a package (with a few trinkets), it was likely to be very good but sub-optimal as against say a high-spec LP12 with Superline/Supercap DR (I’d love to be wrong but am a realist) - and there was also noise around how good the dedicated phono-amp is, which wouldn’t have spoken well for the much more expensive Superline!

As I’ve recorded before, and others have commented upon around the longevity of the Linn LP12 eco-system, if you have a high-spec but non-Stiletto LP12 and you like the Solstice, then given the switch-over costs (which are likely to be painful - better broken down as parts?), then it would be sensible to explore the Stiletto option as a comparable, as this significantly upgrades the LP12.

Now, if the Solstice/arm combo is fundamentally a better deck, that’s another story…but we don’t know (yet) :grinning:…and may not get to find out?

And the burndy connection (no wall shelf) and white light aren’t attractive features of the Solstice for me.

3 Likes

Yes, a very nice honest review. And for what it’s worth I have heard the Rega Naiad. A friend of mine has one. Do I think it betters the LP12, no I don’t. Does it sound different to an LP12, yes it most certainly does. It’s definitely not about a better or worse scenario, which I suspect is just as applicable to the Solstice and many other high-end turntables.

What I do know is that when Naim give something that 500 tag then it’s going to sound pretty damn good. They always seems to get their product hierarchy at exactly the right level. I was never convinced by the NDS against my CDP555 but listening to the ND555 I can see why it gets the 555 stamp of approval. I still run an LP12 with an Aro and Armageddon because I prefer that Naim ‘house’ sound to Linn’s. I suspect this is why a lot people will buy the Solstice?

As a retired designer I think it also looks pretty damn good!

7 Likes

spot on IMHO

yes, I agree. It’s not a Statement level product. Brilliant as it is, for what it is. I’m sticking with my LP12 that’s for sure!

1 Like

But the phono and cart were not the same, or the same in the test?
The cart in the Solstice is in the 1,5 k level, apparently. The phono maybe 2k.
The cart in the Lp12 klimax is in the 5k level, if I am not so wrong.

Is this what is meant by steampunk?

Well, sometimes we have to make these little sacrifices.

1 Like

yes but as she left, she’d make a little sacrifice of her own, off me…

That’s not a platter. This is a platter (kuzma)

4 Likes