New Linn & Lyra Cartridge demo

Is the ARO 2 significantly heavier than the original?

1 Like

For sure Graham

I certainly know from speaking to @Cymbiosis conversations re ARO2 have taken place, speak to PS on private basis

I would be interested in the info, but no more than that. I might ask, should I be there… :thinking:

I can see where the Aura with an Ekos SE/1 Kandid into a 552 could be too dry bright and forward.

The Aura is quite fab with the Aro or PU7 into a 252.

It’s all about preference and matching at that level.

I went to the offical launch and demo hosted by Jason with Peter @Cymbiosis

ARO 2 is a beatifull arm both in looks and music

3 Likes

Getting a demo on a cartridge or range of cartridges must be amongst the hardest bits to demo. Or at least it is for my dealer. Still waiting for some suggestions as where to soend my money. And asking how I will decide once we are down to say 3 options.

Thanks @nicnaim have Ekos SE/1 with Chord Signiture RCA/DIN into my 252 so I need to match final choice cartridge into my system

love the Stiletto - Keel- Urika, we did not demo on Stiletto which I am sure Peter can do for me - at present I am minded with either Kendo, DV DRV XV1-s or Lyra Kelos SE - not a bad choice to be honest

Sounds like a great day, just wondering if you got a chance to compare the Kendo against the Kyrstal, if so what was your impression?

1 Like

Goodness, is that the ARO2? I’ve never seen a close up shot like that before.

It looks very different from its predecessor: the arm tube is much thicker (no longer an aluminium shaft for an arrow) and the doings around the pillar are much ‘busier’.

Looking at the Kendo or Hana Umami as my next cartridge. Unfortunately don’t have a dealer like Peter to compare them all.

@AndyJ

Will re look at notes and post

Thanks @Antz for the review. I have a DV DRT XV-1s that I have used for years with a Superline and Clearaudio table.

Do you have a sense for how the XV-1s and Lyra Etna (not Enta, BTW) compare? How are they in the midrange? I listen to a lot of classical and really like the lusciousness of the DV in the midranges. I have a Atlas Lambda SL on order now. The Atlas is a step up from the Etna, and the SL versions are another step up but require a phonostage that can deal with the low output of the SL series (0.25mV…the Superline can).

@JosquinDesPrez one of my friends and both a NAIM & LP12 owner has used the superline with HCDR with the DV DRT V1s for a few years and loves the detail and dynamics from the music - he plays mostly Jazz so he has a very keen ear for instrumentation and focus

The DV DRT V1s certainly presented well on Saturday and in the company of Estatik and Etna showed really well for a cartridge below thier price points

for us the Etna was the cartridge of the day poise, we went back to the Kleos SE first and then came Etna everyone in the room went WOW noise floor dropped, the was the Etna presents the music was a joy to be honest - yes the most expensive cartridge on the day but it showed it’s pedigree stunning

I can only image what the Atlas will offer on a top end system - Enjoy

2 Likes

couple more I took on the day of the Aro 2

4 Likes

@JosquinDesPrez - I have both the Xv1-S and an Etna SL Lambda.
I have always loved the DV presentation- full balanced and as you say, lush in the midrange. The Lyra is not that. The Lyra is a more refined presentation, very accurate without over emphasizing any frequencies. I love what the Etna does and it its the best cartridge that I have owned- I suspect that you will love the Atlas. The Xv1-S is a bruiser- big, powerful but a little sloppy in comparison. You will probably find the top end through the Lyra to be amazing :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for your input. I listen to mostly jazz and classical, and have Dynaudio Confidence C2 speakers. It sounds like the Atlas SL will be a great match.

2 Likes

Further to several on point critiques of the DVXV1s IMO the DVX1t is more refined and organic sounding whilst building on the S strengths. Both work so well on the ARO 1 and I can’t praise the T on an ARO 2 enough!

2 Likes

A certain dealer not unrelated to this thread greatly helped me make the move from Rua to ‘t’ on my old Aro. To these cloth ears the ‘t’ managed to get significantly closer to the music than the ‘s’. I was really quite surprised at the difference. The Rua still marks a great value/ performance compromise.

Peter

1 Like

It was a fabulous day at Cymbiosis - I learned a lot. One thing that intrigued me was the similarities between the Kendo and the Ekstatik.

The more expensive cartridge was better, as to be expected, but it was more the detail that achieved the improvement, rather than the presentation and musicality - which were very similar, especially on vocals.

However, they both seemed more at home musically and tonally with the Urika, rather than the more forthright and technicolour presentation of the Rega Aura - fabulous phono that it is. The Ekstatik in particular seemed more suited to the Ekos SE than the Aro.

6 Likes