New MC cartridge

@Yeti, Unfortunately, my usual dealer doesn’t stock Lyra cartridges.

It looks like there isn’t an SL version of the Delos anyway.

With a Prefix K a Krystal would be great. I loved mine before moving on to a Kandid.

Just to make my previous answer a bit clearer. If cash is a bit tight I’d had no hesitation in choosing the Goldring Ethos. There was a very good review in Hifi Choice that might be worth reading and I think one in Plus.

Worth checking but I think Goldring Ethos will require Prefix S.

@Steveh, I’ve already read the reviews. That’s why I’m interested in the Ethos. Also, it’s the cheapest of my cartridge options.

@Christopher_M, I can’t see why a Prefix K can’t be converted to a Prefix S as it’s already going in for a service. Is the circuit the same in both phono pre-amps? If so, surely it’s just a case of replacing capacitors, resistors and inductors with ones of a different spec?

@stuart.ashen, If my Prefix K can’t be converted to a Prefix S, I will probably bite the bullet and have a Linn Krystal installed on my LP12. I’m sure it will be fine. I’ve had Linn K9’s and K18’s on the Manticore Mantra that I owned before my LP12. I switched to a Goldring 1042 when Linn discontinued these cartridges and you could no longer get replacement styli.

I’ll be honest. I didn’t do enough research before buying the Prefix K. Also,at the time, all the other Prefix’s that were for sale on the well-known auction site had cables with plugs for the Naim Aro tone-arm, and I didn’t know if the cable could be changed.

No idea. I’m a guy with a AT-OC9/II on an Ittok into a Stageline S. My hope for you is that your proposed Ethos works out for you but the problem you have is that the cartridge is new and largely unknown here, apart from in the reviews.

I’d keep the Prefix as a K, I think it’s more universal.

Alan Sircom in his review of the Ethos: "Goldring recommends a 100Ω load resistance, capacitance somewhere between 100-1,000pF (470pF worked perfectly)… " Someone here (or at Naim) will know whether the S or K Prefix is best suited.

The circuit is basically the same but with a few component changes. It’s not just a question of a slightly different loading between S and K (470 vs 560 ohms), but the former also has a steeper and earlier roll off at HF which is useful for some carts.

Naim should be able to change from S to K or vice versa as part of a service.

All that’s required here is to remove the Aro connector and fit an SME connector - Naim use to be able to supply the Prefix like this for tonearms such as the Linns, SMEs etc… I don’t know whether Naim still have stock of the SME connectors, so not sure whether this can still be done. I do know that the SME tonearm connector is a pricey item though!

1 Like

Chord made me a phono cable with sme connectors 3 years ago…

Richard,

My dealer is going to arrange for my Prefix K to be converted to Prefix S, as he said it will give me more flexibility with modern cartridges.

As my tone-arm is an Ittok LVIII, the connector from my Prefix will be fine for this arm.

Finally, my dealer asked if I wanted to replace the Snaic cable (which is an early version with the Deltron DIN plugs) with a modern Snaic. Is this worth doing?

Yes, it’s definitely worth getting the SNAIC updated to the last black type and also the RF mods done too.

Intreresting that you say yours has a Deltron DIN plug - AFAIK even the early grey SNAIC on the Prefix was fitted with a Preh locking collar DIN.

I was just told that my Prefix had an early grey SNAIC. I just looked in the “How to identify SNAICs and Interconnects” thread and saw the SNAIC with the Deltron DIN plug and assumed that was the type of SNAIC that came with my Prefix.

I haven’t actually seen my Prefix as it was sent straight to my dealer from the well-known auction site. I will instruct my dealer to supply a new SNAIC and arrange for the RF mods to be carried out.

Ah ok. Yes, the later grey SNAICS had collar locking Preh DINs, including on the Prefix. The Black SNAIC is a good upgrade over the grey.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Yesterday, I returned home from a lovely few days in York.

During the trip I had a very enjoyable demo at the Sound Organisation of the Linn Krystal vs Dynavector DV XX2 MkII cartridge on an Akurate LP12 into Superline/ Hi-Cap DR/ NAC-N 272/ NAP 250 DR/ Neat Momentum SX5i. I also had the Naim Prefix that I bought on eBay last October installed in my LP12.

As can be seen in my profile, I ended up having the Krystal installed as I found that, although the Dynavector was able to extract more detail from the record groove, it lacked the drive and PRaT of the Krystal.

Unfortunately, due to a trip to the A&E department at my local hospital yesterday afternoon, I’m only now able to re-assemble my system during a days “convalescence”, as advised by the doctor.

I’m really excited to hear what the Krystal can in my system, as I’m sure David at the Sound Organisation did a fantastic job in setting up my LP12.

4 Likes

Congrats on Krystal. For me, no contest between XX2 Mk.II and Krystal. I was fond of XX2 but it seemed they sacrificed a bit of liveliness and was too civilised for my taste, too. Krystal, OTOH, it’s a killer cart for the price. You’re going to have a lots of fun with this cartridge.

6 Likes

I skipped the Krystal and went for a Kandid when I replaced my XX2. I do think the Krystal is the nicer looking cartridge though. Kandid sounds wonderful but isn’t much in the looks department.

1 Like