New member question

I messaged you earlier. Sales and Wants are strictly forbidden here on this forum - please see the forum rules.

Sorry I didnā€™t see that. Apologies.
I understand it could be problematic to say the least.
Thanks for putting me right.
To be honest, I have a little way to go in financing this, as well as the harder part of convincing my partner itā€™s what she needs.
Colin.

2 Likes

Yes, convincing your partner that you need a pair of Isobariks in your front room should prove to be an interesting conversation!

2 Likes

I used that very combo of 110/Isobariks back in the day ā€¦ it was a lot closer to the 250 than it had any right to be. The 250 brought a little refinement at each of the frequency extremes, but Iā€™d venture to say that improving the pre would make much more difference than the move to a 250.

1 Like

Really, I had no idea before posting that my 110 would be ok, as I read somewhere, someone was using an A&R A60 and it kept blowing fuses!
Being naive with Naim, what pre amp would be an upgrade?
Could I keep to a chrome bumper model, so they look nice!!!
Thanks,

Only CB possibility would be a serviced 32.5 (more inputs and maybe an improvement in SQ terms, opinions vary) ā€¦ otherwise in order of improvement itā€™s 72, 102, 82, 52 and up.

1 Like

Thanks, I didnā€™t realise there was so many!
I will research them all and get a bit more familiarised with them.

ā€¦ ā€œ52 and upā€ will REQUIRE a dedicated outboard power supply as well, just to work ā€¦ for the others mentioned, this would be a nice optional extra to consider once you have the best pre you can afford. There are further (approximately matching corresponding models already mentioned) in the ā€œclassicā€ ranges too ā€¦ depends what you find available really. In your shoes ā€¦ Iā€™d look for a nice 82 or 102 first (you get remote for one thing), but a 72 would be good too.

An 82 needs a Hicap or Supercap PS (as well as the supplied NAPSC). A 52 (which I use inn preference to many more modern options) needs a Supercap or (on earlier examples) the supplied PS.

A 72 works well with a Hicap, but it would be complete overkill to use a Supercap imho.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s incorrect.

With the proposed 250?

1 Like

My suggestion early on was to shelve thoughts of a 250 until the preamp was well and truly sorted. Itā€™s the 250 that necessitates an external psu, not the 82. An 82 will run very nicely indeed from the 110 until further funds are available.

Fair enough - it will work. However, given the OPā€™s actual question, referring to Briks and a 250, it seems worth pointing out the differences in PS requirements.

1 Like

Yep, my amplifier action plan would be ā€¦ 82 (72 if needs must) ā€¦ then Flatcap, Hicap or Supercap depending on budget ā€¦ then 250. Job done. Future plan ā€¦ a really top end preamp. Now letā€™s talk about your your sources ā€¦ all the above is poinless if these are not also top-notch - the Isobariks will reveal all!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your expertise, but I am starting to get lost it in tech talk, Iā€™m afraid.
Will my chrome bumper HiCap still be ok to use? Otherwise, it sounds quite expensive.
Also, hearing about a flat cap in there.
I have actually got a nait 5 converted to pre amp with the nap 90 and flat cap.
I take it these are not really useful.
I only have them as they were my Dads and I use in a spare room.

A CB Hicap will be fine with a 42.5 and 250, if thatā€™s what you are asking.

2 Likes

A chrome bumper Hicap might benefit from a service if it has not had one. but as HH says itā€™s fine to use. I should also say that @CrazyRiver is of course right on timing -you donā€™t have to do everything at the same time.

2 Likes

Oops ā€¦ I missed that you have a HiCap - thatā€™s even better! It will do a great job of powering any new preamp you go for, whatever colour. I maintain though, that maxing out your preamp will make a bigger difference than switching to a 250. (Hicap wonā€™t power 52 or above, but I donā€™t expect youā€™re going that high just yet)

Back in the day, 1983, my first Naim was a 42, snaps and 110. My dealer was one of the UKā€™s most respected, and following their advice, my first upgrade was 110 to 250. It made such a difference to my Kans. then the snaps was swapped for a Hicap and the 42 was upgraded to a 42.5 when the upgrade was introduced, done by my dealer. That 42.5, Hicap and 250 was brilliant.

2 Likes

Thanks, maybe time to pass on the 90 setup to help fund.
Source wise, I have a Naim cd5 and a heybrook TT2 Turntable and a Nakamichi CR-3 Cassette (Sorry, I know I shouldnā€™t have this!)

1 Like