New member question

Thanks everyone for the reassurance I needed before for me, I make a substantial decision.
You have all been most helpful.
Thanks all, for your time in replying .
I have however, decided I must get a 250 and some cheapish Isobarik’s and put my ambition to own to bed, even if it may not be the best/ most logical thing to do.

2 Likes

As far as Darran experience and craftsmanship is concerned he has serviced my CB 1984 hi cap and my classic 200 had my Nac 102 and Napsc for service as the nights have drawn out and we have fields to cut believe me he is a magician a services carried out have made an incredible difference I listen to more albums all the way thru granted leave the CDX in its safe environment but that’s what the man recommended. Love my CDX and system awaiting the return of the 102 twins pre and supply. Have a great bank holiday everyone.

1am

1 Like

He has got a Hicap already so the upgrade to a 250 isn’t going to require adding another power supply. Personally I would upgrade the pre to a 32.5, not least because it can take the 72 time aligned boards (which is a chance for fiddling later) but it’s also one of Naim’s pinnacles of musicality. The 32 is one of my favourite amps of all time!

The 110 shouldn’t have any problem driving the Isobariks. Whatever the reputation, there’s nothing difficult about the Isobarik load which is a practically flat 4 ohms apart from the bass resonance impedance peak. Nor should the A60 have had a problem either. Just keep a vague eye on the temperature. On those, buy a pair with at least the Hiquphon tweeters and ideally with the B110s with the PVC (not rubber) surround, though that doesn’t matter quite as much. But don’t buy the 4 ohm crossover ones (which was always a terrible idea) or the still later crossovers. If the crossovers are inside then I think they’ll be OK, but they took quite a number of shots at ruining those speakers. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I’d rather keep the Credos.

Nothing to be ashamed of having a Nakamichi Cassette deck. They’re one of the most underrated sources there has ever been - though it’s really only Naks that do the trick. In hindsight, I wish I’d had a top notch cassette deck back in the '80s rather than having been fixated on the LP12. They don’t slow down on crescendos so they end up keeping better time than most LP12s.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks so much for your info on the Isobarik’s Christian, that’s really interesting.
I will have to quiz you again when I get close to purchasing. ( if now, I do! )
I have had a bit of a turn up for the books though, that has put off purchasing the 250 and the Isobarik’s!!!
It was my 60th the other day and my partner after hearing one of my dream speakers for my old 70’s kit was some IMF pro monitors, has totally surprised me with a pair to pick up she noticed I was watching on eBay!!!

1 Like

I recommend you get later Isobariks with 4ohm external crossover in the stands, serial 6,701 onwards, otherwise a single 250 may struggle in some rooms if played loudly for long periods.

I sold my (late serial) pair last year and used them with a 110 on occassion. The 110 was fine, as was the CB 140. I didnt use a Hicap so the amp was also having to power a pre amp. Even a 13w Nait 1 would drive them although there was very little bass.

Also consider a CB 160 (or olive 180). I actually prefer the unregulated amps by quite a margin - I tried CB and Olive 250s, both serviced by Class A. However, the 160 wont provide the same level of firm control as the 250s do, but its much more musical. Might take a while to find a CB 160 though. 180s are a more common alternative. Both amps can power the preamp which I find more musically coherent than a Hicap, albiet less clean sounding, but you can easily try that yourself if you have a 5-pin DIN plug for the preamp.

1 Like

I’d be very interested to hear what the IMFs sound like. If they have B110s and B139s then they’ll likely be using a crossover very similar to the Isobariks. It seems that everyone in the '70s just shamelessly ripped off the KEF Concerto/KefKit3 crossover, with some very minor changes to make it their own, whenever they needed a 3-way crossover. So there should be a good deal of family resemblance with Isobariks, only with bass that goes down a bit lower thanks to the transmission line. I’m personally of the view that the bass of the Isobariks is not their finest feature as it’s too tight and doesn’t go down low enough.

Hello I’m new this new Naim forum. My last purchase was a pair of SBL
Speakers many years ago. Purely on nostalgic reason I have purchased the Naim Nait 50 and was hoping for some recommendations for a din to rca
Lead as my DAC is the T+A 200 DAC. Many thanks.

Congratulations on that purchase!
You will need an RCA to DIN cable (DAC to amp) and for authenticity Naim produce one available from most quality retailers online, or your local dealer.

There are cheaper versions available, Designacable do one using Mogami cable, I’ve no experience of that but cheaper option if you need it.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Rather looking forward to the amplifier. Have given up a pair of Quad mono blocks.
Cheers Gary

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.