New NAC282 question

Not sure if I missed it, but what were you previously using that didn’t sound bright? There could be a number of different issues here. In general Focals are on the brighter side (seems less so with their newer products, likely so their a better match with Naim), 282/250DR is also on the more forward side. What is your listening space like, is it treated? Does everything you listen to sound too bright (what about good quality recordings)?

I previously owned the 282/250DR & one of the things I didn’t like is that while good recorded sounded great, not so great recordings were a bit too forward/bright for me (treated listening space).
Now as you get better quality gear, it typically reveals more flaws in recordings, which tends to make many non audiophile recordings sound bright. With this being said, I’m far happier with the 252/300DR combo, in that while it is still even more revealing then the 282/250DR, I find non audiophile grade recordings far more enjoyable to listen too.

1 Like

…my experience is different than yours. My source is a NDX 2 with a XPS DR Power Supply. I also use the NAIM NAC A5 speaker cables running into ProAc D30RS speakers. I have also upgraded all the power cables to AV Options TibiaPlus12 Deep-Cryo. I also added a English Electric 8Switch. Even though I share many of the same components as you their are many components that are different. Then of course there is the room size and my age.

I am quite happy with my system and you just may need to change or add some components within your system to reach the listening experience you desire. The most important thing is to be patient and let the system settle in for a few months before experimenting. Hopefully you are working with a dealer that will let you demo different components at home prior to purchase as you search for listening nirvana.

Have fun on the journey…

4 Likes

Indeed… I, similarly, ran my NDX2/XPSDR with 282/HCDR/250DR into my Focals and it sounded wonderful.

The OP probably needs to let it run in a bit more yet, but I suspect the source may be the critical difference.

1 Like

I had exactly the same experience with a 282 (with a 250DR). Very bright, shrill and fatiguing in lengthy listening sessions.

I couldn’t live with it and the end result was me selling it and moving completely away from NAIM, unfortunately.

3 Likes

In my own personal experience I’ve never really known any Naim to be bright or even shrill. I’ve always considered Naim to be far less bright than most solid state electronics and perhaps even a little “dark”.

8 Likes

From OP’s Profile - ‘Viard HD12 cables’.

These look like an unknown. Suggest the OP borrows a set of Naim NAC A5 leads to try…

1 Like

I’m not a cable disciple but what is that interconnect you’re using between the ND5 and 282?

I had a new 282 and 250, a bit muddled for a couple of weeks but never bright and unbearable.

Err, no. These cables are used, among others, at the headquarters of the company that purchased Naim and which is currently one of the two companies held under the Vervent Audio Group, namely Focal in Saint Etienne, France. These cables are also used at this very instant at the two Focal powered by Naim boutique stores in Lyon and France for demonstrating Naim with Focal. This is because they have a tendency to “soften” and take the bite out of the sound. The electrical values of these cables for resistance, capacitance and inductance are slightly higher than NACA5 and slightly lower than SL depending on length and subsequent multiplication factors. Finally, after having used both the N2 and the Phantom previously for many years with Naim on these speakers, both sound worse, right now, than the Viard cables on the current setup. The problem here is not one set of cables, it’s the NAC282 and I’d venture to say that its “particularities” are universally well known. I just didn’t realize the extent of which these characteristics manifest themselves. Thanks.

I’ve tried the HiLine and an old, but good Flashback DIN to RCA but the least abrasive for the moment is the basic Lavender. Thanks.

My 282 was built in 2008. It is being powered by two Hi-Cap DR power supplies (built in 2012 and 2016). It is mated with a 250 DR (built in 2015).

At times, I found certain recordings of violin (harpsichord, harmonica, etc.) to be screech-y and unpleasant. I never had this problem with my 202/200 combo.

I changed the stacking order of my boxes. I now have three shelves between the 282 and the two Hi-Cap DR power supplies. The unpleasant screechiness is gone.

I learned set-up is very important.

My source is an NDX 2 (with XPS). My rack is an IsoblueHifi Table.

6 Likes

I suspect the OP has reached his conclusion - that the amp combo isn’t for him, with his speakers, in his room.

I’d still suggest he at least tries them with a source of comparable capability - say an NDX2 with XPSDR - before binning them…

3 Likes

Borrow some alternative speakers before deciding anything.

1 Like

TBH, I do not care what cables Focal use… :expressionless:

I will bet there are very few on here using Viard HD12 cables.
And a huge number using Naim NAC A5 - and others.

You have a problem - I made a suggestion. You don’t like it. Fine.

Trying To Be Helpful… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Get rid of it, mate. No matter what advice people give you it seems you’ve made up your mind. You’re the one asking for advice.

2 Likes

So… as you seem to have the answers, what are looking for in this topic then?

2 Likes

Indeed…. Right now we are talking about a streamer that is approximately 1/10th the cost of his amplification/speakers.

That said, I’d expect it to settle down some after a few more weeks of run in. I ran a CD5/FC2 into 282/HCDR/250DR with Focal speakers (a secondary source) and it was quite respectable.

I’m completely confused!

So am I. Even allowing for the disparity between the source and the amplification/speakers it probably shouldn’t be sounding as bad as the OP attests.

Note: The OP seems to have changed his profile. Unless I’m going mad I’m sure it said the source was an ND5XS2 at the outset of this thread.

1 Like

I can understand Magnolias concern. It is easy to be stressad when a new rig arrives and you find it a difficult listen.

I had some of that as I started with a new 282, 250DR and NDX2, and then added a new pair of ATC SCM 40 on top after about two months. Lets say it was a rough ride with some music for months on! Just play huge amounts of JJ Cale untill everthing smoothens out :blush:

Sure the 282 wont transform totally but I think the word ”bite” describe its signature. I don’t find the system harsh now, and since August I find it plays different sorts of music and recordings much better than early on. In fact I tend to notice this quite often, and now marvel at how good it is with most things. Gone are the moments of doubt and frustration, and now I find it very engaging. On occasion I get mild fatigue but I would say as long as you listen with attention this is not the case. Perhaps the 282 is a bit of double edged sword!? It gives great bite to the music but in some cases people find it a bit too much depending on room, rest of system and what music you do prefer.