New Naim Radio stations plus a radio upgrade for all Naim streaming systems

A dedicated Naim Jazz station … and high quality to boot … EXCELLENT !! Thank-you.

Richard,

Are the new URLs “in the public domain” such that I can pass them on to the folks that produce the software that i use on my Raspberry Pi streamer?

They’re publicly viewable on this forum, so…

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Firstly, many thanks to you and the guys at vTuner for sorting this out. Much appreciated. Once the cache was emptied via the desktop client - and the iOS apps quitted and restarted - all is working perfectly.

Interestingly, whilst I note what you say regarding the playback of AAC streams, playback of Naim Classical in AAC at 320kbps has so far been pretty flawless and I have never experienced issues playing BBC R3 HD which streams in the same format and bit rate.

Perhaps Naim and the BBC use slightly different implementations of similar technology and that’s what can trip things up, or perhaps I have the golden HDX. I’ve always assumed (as a layman) that given it can replay 24 bit 192kHz Flac files, the limitations on replaying the latest radio streams (i.e. BBC HD HLS) would likely be more to do with software or licensing rather than hardware horsepower issues.

Maybe its almost time to relegate the HDX to ripping/serving duties and upgrade to an NDX2 - HDX2 even better :wink: - but I still enjoy my HDX - its a great bit of kit - and - how time flies - ten years old next year!

Best,

John

1 Like

Superb, since JBS2 lossles appeared, I haven’t listened to Tidal once!

Hi @JohnBailey and forumers

Glad that did the trick on the HDX.

Re: Internet radio standards.
FLAC playback over the internet is actually FLAC encoded in an OGG container with optional metadata that can be in at least 2 format and streaming structures. This can generate a wealth of code smoke:

• Players not supporting FLAC in an OGG container.
  • Players not buffering enough of a realtime stream, so prone to drop outs. Server side config is critical to minimise this and one area I’ve been working with various as so many of the FLAC streams had mp3 size server size buffers.
  • Metadata can either by in shoutcast format (mainly piloted by Radio Paradise) or can be in chained FLAC streams where there are n’th FLAC streams in the Ogg container. The latter format isn’t supported by that many systems and typically results in 1 track playing and then it stops.
  • Exposure to network stack limitations to cope with high latency network links from server to player. On a LAN playing from a NAS a system doesn’t get exposed to these long distance networking problems. On the Naim FLAC streams we did a lot of tests to ensure they could stream reliably for days on end while playing from New Zealand and hosting in the Netherlands - approx a 12000 miles of internet to go through.

In the case of the HDX and AAC, we were seeing that MPEG4 AAC + metadata was causing the codec to do random long delays which in turn can cause audio dropouts. We put the MP3’s in so customers don’t go backwards from the previous Naim Radio system.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the explanation - its clearly not a simple task and your efforts are much appreciated.

Best,

John

These are a great update! SQ is amazing on my NDX2/XPSdr Makes Naim streamers even better value.

1 Like

Sorry if a daft question Claire but what does the NAC 272 get? Not the hi res FLAC streams as I interpret it?

Sorry but NoCanDo - 272, NDS, NDX, ND5 & the old Unities can ‘only’ get the AAC & MP3 streams.
It might be ‘only’ but Naim’s regular iRadio service has to be the best on the planet.

2 Likes

Love my HDX too…how did you clear the cache via Desktop Client, where in the menus is this? Many thanks.

Apologies, now seen the instructions from Steve Harris earlier on the thread so have had a go at that.

Thanks Mike. As I thought. I don’t listen to as much radio as some on here but I agree the i radio service is still great and for my relative level of use I’m very pleased with it.

Thanks David. It was very late last night when I saw your post and I was going to answer it first thing this morning but looks like you have found what you needed.

Best,

John.

Just on the aac vs mp3 on legacy kit (unitiserve).
Naim stations drop out on aac, so thanks for the mp3. However non Naim stations on aac do not drop out, eg Radio Paradise.

Any workaround for this?

Hi,
I’ve notice that the very good french radio FIP encouter some “small” (1 or 2 sec) cuts now…this occured since this radio is labeled FIP HD.
It’s an AAC 48/192 now. This didn’t occured when it was Mp3 320.
Is this something that can be improved ?

I am looking forward to listening to these stations.
Can you tell me where I can find the playlists of Naim Jazz HD and Naim Classical HD?

1 Like

I asked this and we can’t yet. Metadata being sorted out by Naim but not ready yet. I was advised to use Shazam app for time being which is what I am doing!

1 Like

I can’t remember, but did not the presets in the (iOS) Naim App used to show the station logos?

Well, if they did they don’t anymore on my Muso Qb (Mk.1’s). They do show up in the main listings though.

I’ve turned them off and on - at the mains, quitted and relaunched the App and cleared the cache from the settings but to no avail.

Any suggestions please?

Hi @LaFeuille

Fip expose a 128k mp3 stream and also a 192k ‘hd’ aac stream. In vtuner both are exposed. See screenshot of search results.

In Naim’s Choice we expose the AAC one but its been like that for about 18 months.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.