New Naim system, lots of noise

I think it means the same either side of the pond.

DG…

The only way to do it…

DG…

1 Like

There’s no possibility doing proper free hanging burndy cable dressing if you don’t accept starting on level 2-3 upwards and leave the bottom levels for cookie storage. I have no clue what Naim thought about this but :man_shrugging:

Again, Dave is on point. I did assume that “cable dressing” really meant cable routing and/or orientation. That has been considered from the start, as it is with any other system Ive owned. However, if some one is suggesting that I should do something unusual with the cables like twisting two pairs together 3 times then no. I have not done that and it would be absurd to me.

Well, it is absurd. But this is the Naim forum and anything goes, it can get quite anal.

Not sure where you are located, but if near nyc perhaps Richard would let you pm me, I’d be willing to have you try some or all of your system in mine and see if the noise is still there. I have 282 h/c dr and 250 dr, so you should be able to just substitute. You’d be welcome to try (unless you are a serial killer, in which case - NEVER MIND).

1 Like

Well if you don’t hear from him I guess we’ll all just assume he probably is however if we never hear from you again we’ll call the cops. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

What wrong with a serial killer? Those special guys usually are very concerned about other stuff. He may be a true caring audiophile consciously handling audio gear.

TIA-
(so far, not from beyond) :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Thank you, I certainly appreciate the offer but Im in Canada so not exactly a quick trip to NY.

A resolution is in the works, hopefully Ill have a good update soon.

1 Like

Have you tried connecting your NDX2 to another input on the 282? I know I suggested that earlier, but it may have been missed in all the noise. That would at least rule out a faulty input if you get the same noise on another one.

Apologies if this has already been suggested and I’ve missed it- but both my sn2 which I had briefly and my sn3 have required me to provide a separate earth to earthing terminal on the back in order to eliminate terrible humming.
This can be done easily by either connecting the earth terminal on the amp with a wire to an unused plug earth and plugging it into the wall. Or (as I have done) attach a small piece of wire around the base of an unused din plug- metal on metal to the amp earth terminal. There are some pictures somewhere on the forum showing this.
Again apologies if this has been tried and failed.

The OP did try a range of diagnostic checks including finding the same on all inputs. It is really a good idea to at least read the opening post even if not the whole thread!

Thanks. Completely missed that in the opening post! Reading is no guarantee of comprehension… :innocent:

I had a horrible humming problem with my new SN3 - it was James_n (and Hifi-dog) who pointed me in the direction of some bare cable between a din connection and the amp earth connection. Worked a treat for me.

2 Likes

Always wise to caveat your statements, helps to minimise misunderstandings. (“,)

Get this thing fixed already ! As disappointing as it must be to you, to the rest of us its like reading a good mystery only to find the last chapter is missing. (LOL), hope you get it sorted out soon. Please be sure to keep us informed- don’t just disappear.

Solved?

Call Michel at Focal-Naim in Montreal. It’s almost certainly a defect in the Naim equipment (probably the preamp or P/S). You shouldn’t have to piss around like this with the level of equipment you have and it sounds like your dealer is no help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.