New Naim system, lots of noise

Your first post of call here is your dealer. They sold you system so if there are issues then it’s their call to try to sort things out - that’s what they’re there for and why they earn their margin. If they’re even a half decent dealer they will want you to be delighted with the system you have bought, and if you aren’t they should definitely want to find out why and try to resolve things to your satisfaction.

1 Like

Have you tried plugging it in to your regular house mains, not your dedicated circuit - something else to eliminate…

1 Like

Yes I have, as noted a few posts above. I plugged it in as per normal with a 3 prong/grounded power cord and a cheater chord with no ground. Into all of my dedicated lines and then a normal house outlet. No difference

1 Like

Agreed, but My Dealer is 2 hours away and has no Classic line or above in store. As mentioned, he doesn’t have anything else in. So I cant just swap a preamp to try. Besides, he cant do anything more than what I can by trial and error, assistance from people such as all of you and with the Distributor/Manufacturer directly.

Im also going to buy a receptacle tester today to test each outlet and ensure theyre all wired correctly.

Yes, that’s a good idea. Will it test earth potential as well?

1 Like

@Jean
You may wish to read forum rules, relative to your question to booktrunk. In a word, discussions of any third party ps is frowned upon. Our esteemed moderator RD, will likely be along soon, or you may wish to delete your post, to avoid the sin bin.

Forbidden discussion and great decrease in sound quality too.

I missed this, thank you for letting me know

No worries. Naim is incredibly tolerant of discussion on Naim kit, competitor kit and a lot more, excepting a couple of subjects. With kit specifically, modifications and ps + ps cables including burndy are off limits, for sensible reasons. Regrettably, in recent times, some posts elsewhere have sought to blame Naim for issues out of their control or have been unfairly critical of Naim staff.

If you yourself have an issue with a Naim PS, many on here will offer advice and experience. Best though, with respect to the OP, to start a new thread, specifying the unit involved in the title. Peps sometimes report transformer and associated issues with PS boxes, but these can be environment dependent. I have many boxes and no issues. Hope that is useful.

1 Like

I followed a thread on internet about the topic. User faced similar issue and tried the DC blocker with success. Only sharing, however can not say this works on this case indeed. I understand DC is on the mains and this can clean the signal however I also understand it is not recommended by Naim to filter the power line. So better use the DC blocker then a Power supply then the Naim device.

No Naim PS on my side, only the SN3 + ND5XS2 for the moment, very happy with. From many brands I have tried either at home or at local dealers, Naim offers me the sound I was looking for.
I also faced some difficulties with noise at beginning. Playing a CD this was perfect, but connecting to a Home Theater preamp with AV bypass, noise started.
Issue was solved when I received by ND5XS2, and I do not know the reason.
Interestingly, all my gears, all of them, have no ground. Only the Naim equipment. The SN3 connected to a non-grounded equipment could have been the problem. Introduction the ND5XS2 which is grounded have solved the problem may be.
I also installed a dedicated line starting from the mains.
Last issue with noise was with my turntable. I connected the RCA phono cable of the turntable to the ground connector on rear of the SN3, and voila, everything works fine now, no more noises.
I am sharing, it may be useful to some.

They may not recommend power line filters - but if it works its a good choice.
I live in an electrically noisy environment, so I invested in PS Audio, and Isotek gear to clean up my system power, and get it sounding good. I posted about this in another thread some time ago.
I think I would make arrangements with the dealer to demo everything at the showroom. They should also try and have alternative cabling available to eliminate another variable.

Hi…had similar problem recently with my nac n 272 linked to a nap 200

Dealer ended up replacing noisy transistors from preamplifier gain stage on the 272

Hope this helps

Regards

1 Like

Given all that you have described, and checks done, all points to the preamp being the source of the noise, whether due to a fault or being particularly susceptible to something in your home.To eliminate one or the others options include getting another one from your dealer to try. If not the quickest thing to arrange, can you take the amp to someone else’s house and try in their system?

I just tested all of my receptacles, they are all wired correctly. I do not see any easy way to measure or test earth potential.

Guess the preamp is going back to Naim.

1 Like

Surely you’d return it to the dealer you bought it from?

All the Dealer can do is set up a return or service request. But it will be going back to Naim to identify issue and either replace the unit or correct it. We will see.

They can’t test it on their premises?

1 Like

That or possibly better still bring/lend you another one to try. That would soon show if it is the preamp or the environment/electricity supply, so saving the time of sending to Naim if the latter, and providing proof of a faulty unit if the former.

Brick walls, heads, and bashing cone to mind!

1 Like